Using small drills

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard.white

Reaction score
Hi all, I am a beginner at this and wanted to make a boring bar. I would like to drill the end to hold a small triangular cutter and thought this would be easy. No such luck! I pin punched the flat end of the steel rod to start a mark for the hole, but the drill I'm using .067 is so small that it walks itself right out the hole and flexes no matter what pressure is put on it. I really don't want to break bits and am wondering how you experienced folks do that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also any advice on what kind of mini mill I should get. I want it to make model steam & gas engines. Thank you.

Richard White

what material do are you drilling sounds hard. I have a few pieces here that laughs at the hack saw. Did you center drill/spot drill first.
Tin

after you center punch it run a file over the surface to flatten the area around the punch mark, a ring will have been raised around the punch mark. thats what im guessing is wrong.

I always use a centre drill for such drilling and the one I have is 1mm x 3mm (0.04" x 1/8" approx) This works well

Phil

Back