Using a DRO

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkastagehand

Reaction score
So, I have built Yuriy's Arduino based Android DRO. I don't have it on the mill yet but it is functional and I have been trying to get the feel of how one of these works. I have never used a DRO and don't know what I'm doing. Is there a tutorial or some such available that shows the use of some of at least the basic features? Or anyone using Yuriy's app specifically that could help me get started since it may differ from what is commercially available.

I've looked a bit online and some of the tutorials I've seen don't look like the same user interface. For example: I was playing around with the bolt pattern feature and it did not behave as expected based on what I have seen on other systems. I thought once set up it would give numbers for first hole; as I move slides into position for each "hole" it would zero or something? then is there a next button for moving to the next hole? I don't see a next button, and it doesn't seem to give me numbers I'm expecting.

Paul

Hi Paul. The bolt pattern button can take some getting used to, if you have not yet joined the developers group I would suggest you do, lots of information on there that will help. Anyway to use the bolt pattern, when you input the data for number of holes etc you are presented with a set of coordinates equal to the number of holes, if you touch the first set of coordinates they will appear on the display, you then wind your x and y handles to zero the displays and drill your hole, then press the second set of coordinates and repeat etc etc .
I think there were some problems with this function at one point but mine seems to be working now. I tested the function on a scrap piece of metal by drawing a circle of 1 inch radius, if everything is working you should see the coordinates should land on the circle.
Best number of holes to use is probably 4 as the coordinates are obvious and just change from pos to neg.

Hi Howi,

I don't ever seem to get that list of coordinates for the first hole. Is it off-screen that I have to slide over or shrink to see? (I can't make it do either of those things so I assume not.) Did I enter a wrong value so the circle fucntion did not actually start?

How do I get on the developers group. Is it a google community and if so how to join? Never done that before.

Paul

Hi Howi,

I don't ever seem to get that list of coordinates for the first hole. Is it off-screen that I have to slide over or shrink to see? (I can't make it do either of those things so I assume not.) Did I enter a wrong value so the circle fucntion did not actually start?

How do I get on the developers group. Is it a google community and if so how to join? Never done that before.

Paul

It depends on what display device you are using, on a standard android tablet, mine is a nook HD, the coordinates are listed ton the right of the xyz display area. On my smartphone there is a button marked Readout above the xyz display area, when pressed brings up a drop down list, you want the second option Points list.

To get on the developers list go to Yuris website Yuris Toys the link to the developers area is there. https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/107302258278364916741

It depends on what display device you are using, on a standard android tablet, mine is a nook HD, the coordinates are listed ton the right of the xyz display area. On my smartphone there is a button marked Readout above the xyz display area, when pressed brings up a drop down list, you want the second option Points list.

I do have a Readout button. Only two things on there; points list or back to standard readout page. Do I somehow use the points list to increment between holes? It doesn't look like that would work but maybe I'm missing something. I get nothing that looks like what you describe or like I expect based on seeing tutorials of other dro systems.

I do have a Readout button. Only two things on there; points list or back to standard readout page. Do I somehow use the points list to increment between holes? It doesn't look like that would work but maybe I'm missing something. I get nothing that looks like what you describe or like I expect based on seeing tutorials of other dro systems.

Use the holes on a circle button to create the coordinates for the number of holes required, lets say 4, the first hole angle at 45 degrees, zero for the next item and zero point for the starting point I.e centre of the circle your holes will be on. Click create circle will then produce 4 sets of coordinate pairs in the points list accessed by the readout button. Touch the first set of coordinates to transfer these to the x and y axis on the main display etc etc.
Make sure you are running the latest version of touch dro.

Last edited:
Use the holes on a circle button to create the coordinates for the number of holes required, lets say 4, the first hole angle at 45 degrees, zero for the next item and zero point for the starting point I.e centre of the circle your holes will be on. Click create circle will then produce 4 sets of coordinate pairs in the points list accessed by the readout button. Touch the first set of coordinates to transfer these to the x and y axis on the main display etc etc.
Make sure you are running the latest version of touch dro.

Some of the tutorials of other types of DROs made it look like something should automatically pop where I could see it. Finally having you say the data is in the points list makes it clear. I was seeing that before but not realizing what I was seeing and how to do anything with it.

Thanks for the help. I can't wait to get it on the mill and try it out for real instead moving slides by hand on the bench!

Paul

Some of the tutorials of other types of DROs made it look like something should automatically pop where I could see it. Finally having you say the data is in the points list makes it clear. I was seeing that before but not realizing what I was seeing and how to do anything with it.

Thanks for the help. I can't wait to get it on the mill and try it out for real instead moving slides by hand on the bench!

Paul

Hi Paul
Unfortunatley due to the limited screen area on smart phones Yuri has had to make some compromises. It works better on a tablet and is more user friendly. I have put Igaging scales on my super sx2, making it much easier to use. th_wav

Latest posts

Back