Upshur twin

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peter

Looks like you have a nice runner there Peter. Seems to start fairly easy as well judging by the video. Thanks for sharing it with us. :bow: :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

Nice looking and a nice runner. Congratulations on a fine build. :bow:

Regards,
Rudy

nice looking engine buddy :)
Pete

That is a very nice engine. I'm a big fan of Upshur engines.

But there is one thing...it seems you went ahead and built the thing without taking us along and providing build pics along the way! How can we be sure you didn't buy it off eBay? :big:

...sorry, couldn't resist...

-Trout

But there is one thing...it seems you went ahead and built the thing without taking us along and providing build pics along the way! How can we be sure you didn't buy it off eBay? :big:

...sorry, couldn't resist...

-Trout

Funny guy, Mr. Trout :big:

I didn't take many pictures during construction, It was to be a Christmas present for my son, so a bit of a rush job. Almost July! you can see how that worked out. Sent him money instead, he seemed very understanding.

A couple of pictures to hopefully help prove the non E-bay origins of the engine

DSCF0074.jpg

DSCF0081.jpg

Also a past build of a Duclos gearless

DSCF0032.jpg

Peter

Nicely done Catminer, it runs really well. I have heard that the Upshur twins are fairly cranky to run but your seems to purr along just beautifully. I built one about 3 years ago as a 'beginner project", but I have never tried to run it. Here is the old thread:

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=1435.0

What kind of ignition setup did you use? - I really need to get mine running :-[

Best regards, Mati

el
No reason for the piston skirts, just something to try.

Thank you everyone else for your kind comments

Sorry about the picture quality, will try to improve

Peter

Hi Mati;

Ignition is using the breaker points as set out in the plans, a 6v automotive coil, condenser (capacitor), and a 6v lantern battery. I use this on other engines also with no troubles. The carburetor is to the drawings also,
it has no air bleed or capacity to meter fuel to throttle position. Works best at a set speed.
Thanks for looking and I will read your thread.

Peter

Peter

For what it is worth I ended up with a hall sensor and SSI ignition sys.
Performance improved dramatically. Design carb works well and handles RPM change pretty good.

ps... the con rods are of 2024 aluminum so messing with bushings in the big end wasn't necessary. The bearings in the little end are for practice.

Ray M

Latest posts

Back