Universal Tool and Cutter Grinder

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldstar31

Reaction score
Has anyone done any modifications to this machine yet, please?

For instance , 'My' lathe tool holder is far too big for my sort of lathe tooling

Thanks

Norm

No response so next question which is more specific.

This T&C is designed to take No5C collets. OK, I added a number of Imperial sizes to complement the Metric ones supplied. I have both sets of tooling to suit my machines.

So what about Morse taper tooling? Are there such things? Before I have wasted other peoples valuable spare time- I have extensively searched without success in the UK suppliers.

The nearest- and probably daftest, solution is to get a 5C collet with a 1" Imperial parallel bore and fit a 1" parallel sleeve --with a No2 Morse taper bore.

Thanks

Norm

Hi Norman,

I suspect that the only way you will get a morse taper tool holder is to do what you have suggested. A crappy solution I agree. The other way is to make an adaptor to fit the collet holder. Still messy and time consuming, particularly for those of us that are running on almost empty. :eek:

Take care:

Gung Hey Fat Chow----as people said to me yesterday at the start of Year of the Dog. When someone found that I was 'so old'. at the Chinese Old Age Pensioners 'do', I got a pressy of £30 and then someone paid for my umpteen courses and then I won £30 in the raffle. Then another 'invite' to the formal Chinese Association Dinner later.

So running on almost empty gave me enough to buy a new 5C collet and a MT 'sleeve' to fit inside.

Now the instructions for the new grinder are hopeless in 'Chinglish' but I have lots of offers that include things other than translations about how the machine works! Apparently there are still things-- other than model engineering;)

I may need a holiday. No rest for the still wicked!

Norm

Of course, the difficulty( for me, anyway) is how to point things like centers/centers. These, as far as I know, cannot be easily tackled on a quite a number of machines including such exotic beasts as the Quorn and the Clarkson. With nothing more than what I suppose is a simple MT collet is like looking for 'rocking horse manure'

Digressing- only a little bit, such a thing would do these half centers/centers and square centers for starters in carded or other 'hard' materials.

On that point:rolleyes:, I rest my case or wallet.

Norm

Gung Hey Fat Chow Norman,

Gung Hey Fat Chow as people said to me yesterday at the start of Year of the Dog. When someone found that I was 'so old'. at the Chinese Old Age Pensioners 'do', I got a pressy of £30 and then someone paid for my umpteen courses and then I won £30 in the raffle.

You lucky so & so :thumbup:

I've never had a problem making or sharpening morse taper centres. You do have to be careful with machining a 45, 60 or 90 degree point on a morse taper drill stub in case it comes loose in the lathe spindle. A half centre is a lot harder to do ! I've used a hacksaw and file when I've needed to make one. Cut it just a bit less than half with the saw and then file to get the slight angle on the flat. You only need enough to clear the tool bit.

Hair of the Dog and such things!

I quite agree when making 'soft centers' and I'm not writing about chocolates. However, I saw the potential in being able to tackle the making of 'HARD' tooling. Seemingly- yes, seemingly, the grinder is really a relatively cheap alternative to the Deckel which started off in life making engraving tooling which most people applauded. There were precious few accolades for the machine 'doing other things'
However, from what I read but cannot confirm, one Chinese firm is exporting 1000 of the the things to Germany-- the home of the Deckel!

Rambling on a bit, I actually have a Quorn, a Kennet, a fabricated Stent and a somewhat Early Perpendicular Clarkson of doubtful provenance.
The all up cost of them, completed or the castings or whatever were actually a lot less than the new arrival. However, the sale of 1000 of these beasts to one country suggests that there is something which my natural curiosity needs to explore.

With the promise of more clement weather, I'll find out. Meantime, my sincere greetings and thanks for trying to follow me.

Norm

It's all the upsurge about the Sieg SC and C4' but I swopped the diamond wheel from a tapered one. I have no idea what the. grit size is but it came moons ago from Chronos at a model exhibition in the UK( sometime)

I had a brazed carbide lathe tool which had probably been part of a diseased estate and it was blunt. I blacked it with a felt tipped pen and merely removed it on the grinder at 5 degrees. Result was almost mirror reflexion.

My next quest is to see what happens to a crusty, rusty No2 Morse taper which had been underwater some. years ago when my earlier wooden shed lost its roof for the second time. Probably a dip in cola and then held in a 1/2" should be a test. I can always throw it at the itinerant pigeons if I fail

N

I'm having fun with one of these, which I bought second hand to use at work. This one takes R8 collets - it came with a bunch of 4c which didn't fit, and selling them on the thing cost £150 which is OK by me. So far I managed to rescue about 20 slot drills and end mills - in the worst cases I used a skinny angle grinder disk to chop 1/4" off the destroyed end and rough out the back rake, front clearance etc by hand (I used a Dremel on some, but the skinny disk was better - yes I know it's not a good idea to use them for side grinding) - and then use the tool itself to put 2, 4 etc cutting edges on all at the same height and angle. The tools cut well and the edge seems to last well enough.

I was watching a video of someone actually doing the worn flutes and wondered how he did it. I know the use of the 0.0088 constant but how it applies on this particular machine has me baffled for the moment.

Again, I have the plans of the Norman Tinker and Quorn designs which contain the worked dimensions but I could not get my aged head around either.

On that point, I either await further clarification or creating lots of doodles on lots of paper

N

Latest posts

Back