Two Questions

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know everyone answer is proably correct, but for a sherline mill setting on my desk, changing speed and feed while trying to cut a 1/16 slot in 1/8 brass that is 3/16 long is not going to happen. Its easy enough to change the speed of the bit, but the amount of feed is much harder. As it is I almost have my safety glasses touching the spindle so I can see how much further to cut on a pass. I guess with time, I will be able to judge better the feed rate and be able to change that but for now will go with the 2 flute cheap end mills.

But on the other hand everyone's answer brings new learning to this hobby, so thank you all. If I never make a good machinist, that is still ok, doing this for fun and that is something I am having alot of. The engine that I made in another thread runs great, I keep hooking it up to air to watch it run. Already working on another one, and I marvel at the work most of you do here, its amazing.

JimN

Hi JimN

The three jawed self centering chuck is much quicker.I tend to use the four
jaw after using the three jaw when i need to machine the rest of the bar
to keep it concentric to the previous machining, as this is a much more
accurately way of doing it,and worth spending a little time on.

As for using end mills for producing slots, Well i tend to use slot drills as
these are what they are designed for, end mills strictly speaking are for
machining side faces/small shoulders and profiling to achieve a good surface
finish. Although you can use end mills but is not good practice.
Hope this helps
Ken

Latest posts

Back