Two IC newbies Build Websters

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aonemarine: Cool never heard of the place but I am not exactly local.
say the word and I can break this off into a new thread.
Tin

I finally managed to get the fly wheel pattern sorted out, and started to mill it out today. Still have a couple more parts to finish making for the pattern and some sanding to do. This is per Bills request to make a 6 spoke lfy wheel. Took me a bit to figure it out but its getting there.

IMAG0319.jpg

IMAG0320.jpg

IMAG0322.jpg

IMAG0323.jpg

I finally managed to get the fly wheel pattern sorted out, and started to mill it out today. Still have a couple more parts to finish making for the pattern and some sanding to do. This is per Bills request to make a 6 spoke lfy wheel. Took me a bit to figure it out but its getting there.

awesome work look really good:)

Just wondering is it going to be heavy enought:hDe:

It will be heavy enough when cast in metal. And the heavier it is, the slower you can coax your Webster to run. I experimented with making my Webster a hit and miss engine governed by a 3 ball governor I designed. I have a monster flywheel on it. The "hit and miss" kinda worked---but not so much that I was happy with it. The governor has been removed but the monster flywheel remains.---Brian

Ok the flywheel pattern is pretty much complete, so It was time to make the follower.... This will put the parting line below the spokes and kept me from having to make a two piece pattern or from coping down. Im put some quick dry primer on it and its drying as I type. I hope to cast tomorrow or the next day. Thats provided the pattern pulls well, if not fome fettling may be in order.

flyfollower 001.jpg

flyfollower 003.jpg

Ok so im impatient....Deciced to ram it up and check how it pulled, I have a couple of sticky spots that need some work still. Nothing major, just need a minor fillet. Having a mold rammed up, I couldnt resist melting some metal so what the heck I went for it. This is the wrond way to pour a casting of this type (Direct pour) which leads to alot of sand inclusions, but it was just for fun anyway...

alyflypour 001.jpg

alyflypour 002.jpg

alyflypour 003.jpg

You sir, are a very talented man. Metal casting is one of the few things I have never tried, and don't expect to, but I certainly admire those who do it.---Brian

Thanks Brian.
One of the main reasons I got into casting is the scraps of metal available to me. Although they are too small to make anything out of, once melted they can become what ever I want including bar stock. With the price of metals today its a worth wild investment. It's also easier to make patterns out of wood then cast verses machining a solid block...most of the time anyways.....

This may not be the fattest flywheeled Webster in the world, but I bet its a contender. I first built this exactly according to plan and never could get it to run with a home brewed carburetor, so I put a Traxxas 4033 model airplane carb on it. Then after I got tired of playing with it, I turned it into a hit and miss engine, as I posted earlier. I have taken the governor off now, but I just thought I'd put this up on a current Webster build so you can see what a truly magnificent flywheel it has.---Brian
WEBSTERWITHFATFLYWHEEL003_zps0a762063.jpg

WEBSTERWITHFATFLYWHEEL004_zpse92c722b.jpg

Thanks Brian.
One of the main reasons I got into casting is the scraps of metal available to me. Although they are too small to make anything out of, once melted they can become what ever I want including bar stock. With the price of metals today its a worth wild investment. It's also easier to make patterns out of wood then cast verses machining a solid block...most of the time anyways.....

:wall::wall: no wonder I was questioning the weight of it :wall::wall:

It look so nice I was under the impression it would be made of wood:hDe:

But I could easely see two split flywheel made with ard wood and filled with lead:fan:

great work

AONE O MY GAWD that is one nice flywheel :)

you guys have left me in the dust with my webster :p

Speedy, this one is just to try out the pattern...the real ones will be cast in iron. :)

Dang Dave... I told you I did some casting, but looking at your casting I just do some practicing lol.. Looks great man really.. I need alot of pointers on pattern making I see that now..Bill

Dang Dave... I told you I did some casting, but looking at your casting I just do some practicing lol.. Looks great man really.. I need alot of pointers on pattern making I see that now..Bill

Bill, I've had all kinds of jobs and learned all kinds of trades. From automotive paint and body, to pipe fitting and industrial composites. I started casting metal about 5 years ago and I love it! Pattern making is kind of like doing body work....sand sand and sand some more. And thank god for tapered end mills!!
I get bored easily so I tend to take everything I see apart in my head, looking for parting lines on castings, and injection molded parts. I've seen some very interesting pattern work and just store the info away. Problem comes when I try to explain things to someone else, I just assume they understand me and I tend to leave out details that are important, or don't explain things well enough. But now with Cad drafting I can give a visual reference to my thoughts. If you run into something you need help with let me know.
Man I ramble on sometimes......

Ok fixed the pattern up so it pulls very well now. I rammed up the molds today and poured them in Iron, they are cooling down now and I will pull them in a couple of hours. I took a video of the pour and will edit it tonight after I open the molds.
Heres a pic to appease the forum of the mold rammed up.

mold rammed up.jpg

Latest posts

Back