Turning a crankshaft with temporary added-on centers

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mainer

Reaction score
Has there been any past discussion on turning a crankshaft that requires temporarily attaching auxiliary centers? I did a search and didn't find anything, but I could easily have missed it.

I'm working on Westbury's "Unicorn" and a cast crankshaft comes as part of the kit...with no supplied centers for turning the journal. I know the general theory of making a couple of blocks with center holes at the proper offset and attaching them to the ends of the main crankshaft...but I've never done it and would like to get a description from somebody who has actually done it.

(After I try it and ruin the crankshaft casting I'll make a built-up crankshaft, but I thought I may as well try using the casting first. ;D)

Kozo Hirokoa's book "Building the Shay" locomotive does a great job describing the process. I don't know where my copy is right now or I could send you the pertinant pages. Lemme look around or maybe someone else will speak up.

Brian

Mainer,

First you turn the main journals between centres.

2nd you mark and centre drill the big ends on the outside of the throw.

3rd you make a lockable clamp which fits the main journal and has a centre drill on each side giving the offset.

4th a piece of BMS with a 60 deg cone on each end clamped between your temporary clamp centre and the ones on the outside of the big end. Line these up parallel with the main journal shaft - make sure they are at right angles and tight and machine the big end. TAKE LIGHT CUTS.

Hope this helps ??? ???

Best Regards
Bob

Here is a 'what can go wrong' photo

I think this was a Stuart Turner #4 crank. I thought I was doing it right, I had the blocks up as close to the throw as my centers would permit. I was taking nice gentle cut, with a long overhang square end tool.

I wound up making a built up crank.

Good luck!

RS_BentCrank.jpg

I have only used that method for grinding cranks - would only try that for turning if I could hold one of the blocks in a four jaw chuck, as that would add lots of rigidity to the setup.

Mainer, go to "Engines From Castings" -"A Stuart Turner Triple Expansion Engine « 1 2 3 4 », page3 and look.
Hilmar

Thanks folks. I will ponder the situation a while and see what develops.

I looked at the crank casting a while yesterday afternoon and the idea of a built-up crank is seeming better all the time...but I may yet give it a try.

I've made a crankshaft from the solid before -- that's certainly an option. In this case the crankshaft has balance weights, so to do it completely from a solid blank I'd have to start with a 2" dia. bar and turn it down to 3/8" dia. for the journals, which seems a bit much. I could use attached weights...but then it's starting to be a built-up job, so why not just build the whole thing.

Thanks for the link -- good job!

Thanks for posting the link to your crankshaft, gbritnell.

Very informative.

Well, I decided to do a built-up crank instead of dealing with the casting. It worked pretty well (see photo), though in the long run I'm not sure it was any easier.

I assembled the parts with Loctite 609, using a Delrin spacer to get the distance between the webs correct. After the Loctite had set up I pulled out the spacer and drilled and pinned the joints, again using 609 on the pins.

Crank1.JPG

Latest posts

Back