Transporting Machinery

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benster

Reaction score
My father has a JET 4"x6" horizontal bandsaw that he would like to give me, but its located across the country. A quick quote on Fedex/USPS yields a freight price of $300-$400, which I could buy a new grizzly bandsaw for and have shipped. Are there more economical means to ship something freight around ~130 lbs? Can we drop it off and pick it up at the freight terminal to save money?

The location at each end of the trip can have a significant impact on the cost of shipping. If there is regular LTL traffic between them it will be less expensive and vice versa. I'd start with a local (truck) freight company that has national connections to see what they can do. Best price will come with no schedule and terminal drop-off/pick-up. To put it in perspective I've shipped 4 wire wheels sandwiched between two wooden pallets from British Columbia to Florida for $200 ... but that was being in the right place at the right time.

FWIW - given the flimsy stand on these saws (if original), I'd recommend taking the saw itself off the stand. You could then strap the heavy bits to a pallet/skid and tie the stand over top.

I just had my new lathe shipped from Wisconsin to Ohio, I picked it up at the terminal. The weight was 2400lbs. The cost was $405.65, the carrier was Estes.
The Pallet size was 48x40x72.
Scott

P1030905.jpg

P1030914.jpg

That looks much better than backing up quickly and slamming on the breaks.

My lathe weighs 3200 lbs and was loaded onto my car hauler. I had to get a boom wrecker to unload it and deposit it on a pallet jack inside the shop.

large.jpg

My dad should be able to crate it no problem, I'll keep that in mind cwelkie. I looked on uship.com, found a carrier that I think can get it down here for ~$150, I'll have to call and see about doing a terminal to terminal shipment.

My standard solution to this sort of thing is to convert to cash, send the cash, and buy locally. Unless you specifically want this particular saw, spending 150+ to ship a 200 dollar saw seems like an expensive solution.

HF will sell one of these for about 200. Not as good as a Jet, but basically the same machine. I've seen them on CL for 100+ (though, usually, almost new prices). If you can sell the saw locally for 100-150 (probably more for a Jet), you can buy a new one for another 50-100 without the logistics problem. Heck, buy a new one from Jet if you can get 150 for the old one. Same cost.

It's true that the HF saw will probably need some tuning. Or you might find a somewhat better one with some looking.

Just a thought.

Back