Torch Recommendations Please

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlmanatee

Reaction score
I've never done any silver soldering and I haven't done any brazing (with oxy acetylene) since high school some 30 years ago. I want to add SS to my repertoire but all I have for heat is a Bernz-o-Matic torch. If I'm going to tool up for SS, what do you all recommend? I have an old brass blowtorch I picked with the idea of making a torch using Guy Leutard's plan from one of his bedside readers. But blowtorches sound "scary".

The propane torch will do it

Have a look at This Topic

I posted a link to an excellent site for silver soldering students and pros.

Kermit

My Bernz-o-matic was fine for learning to silver solder and doing the boiler on my Slightly Loco engine. It's the 'turbo' or swirl-type, but nothing fancy. If you get into big parts then you have to keep the heat cranking and that's where the big burners come into play. I actually have a smaller torch I use now for silver soldering little pieces that might melt down if heated too much, brass in particular.

Acquire a few (I think I have 6) firebrick 'splits' to make an assemble-as-needed hearth. If you check my Slightly Loco thread, you'll see that you really have to heat things up silver soldering-- like orange bright hot. A little hearth helps a lot on holding that heat in.

Uhhh, looks like this has been chewed over like an old shoe. Guess I should have done a little searching. Thanks for not beating my over the head. :-[

Back