Torch advice needed for boiler project

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They have an open house with demos in everything next month that I am definitely going to be at. So many hobbies, so little time!

I hear ya. The only thing I should have mentioned is the midget model in particular seems to be getting harder to source do to some company/product line takeover, hence the link. My local welding place said they 'could get it in' but turns out at middleman $ premium for no reason & rather blank looks about tip selection.

Anyway, after a few days of using the midget in a variety of ways, I went back on a friends regular OA handle with small tip like you would find in a typical starter kit & it just felt overly clunky big & bit coarser flame setting. Maybe not so much contrast welding steel, but for sure the finicky soldering stuff & alloys. OTOH, with simply bigger tip, the midget handily did chromoly tubing & plate, typical FS aircraft & hotrod stuff, so I think it has good utility range. Take this FWIW because this was my first rodeo. I have no vested interest in the company or distributers.

Last edited:
That's a great video. My project for today :cool:

Back