Tool Post Mounted Grinder (2nd attempt)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lockstocknbarrel

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I'm a Toolaholic.
I saw this holder for sale on eBay and decided to build it to suit my Emco Maximat Super 11.
Over the weekend I grabbed a piece of Aircraft Aluminium (I love machining this stuff) 25mmX12mmX150mm and bored a hole to suit the thread on my Cordless Dremel 800 tool, the thread was 3/4X12tpi, (Check your own Dremel as there are 2 thread sizes 12 & 16 tpi) after machining the thread, I needed to make a spud to rotate the tool holder to round off the end as per the photo below.
This has been a very quick project, and with it being mounted in the QC Tool Holder it is easier than setting up my Tool Post Grinder to do small jobs, it also now gives me the ability to drill any part that is mounted in the chuck or do division drilling on the lathe.
If this has been posted before then sorry for the repost. :-[
Kindest Regards
Beagles
Lockstocknbarrel

Dremel-Tool-Post-Holder-#1.jpg

Dremel-Tool-Post-Holder-#2.jpg

Dremel-Tool-Post-Holder-#3.jpg

Dremel-Tool-Post-Holder-#4.jpg

Hi Guys,
This was my first tool post.................
Did I do something wrong 243 lookers no reply's.........................I had a shower that morning as well. ;)
Even if someone had said it was,

"Shite"
"Na seen it before"
"Good Post"
"Juvenile try again"

What did I do wrong.
Regards Beagles

Hi Beagles!

I must have missed this post!!!
Tool post holder looks great!!!! ;D

Did you cut the internal threads on the lathe or use a tap?

Looks like it works a treat!!!
What were you grinding in the lathe in the last pic?
Or was that just a "set-up" shot?

Andrew

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the comments I was wondering what I had done wrong......
Yes cut the thread on the lathe, and just made a "set-up shot".
You have to be careful when radius cutting the end as you probably know the cutter can bite and then there are problems.............how do I know this......
Kindest Regards
Beagles

Hi Andrew,

Excuse my ignorance.

What would you use this for?

Dave.

Lockstocknbar

Hi Beagles and welcome to HMEM. I sometimes get away from the computer for several days at a time so at times I might not post as soon as a post is made. The fact that there were 243 views means that someone was interested and a good number of them enlarged the photo's to get a better view of the detail. You can be sure that a few will have bookmarked this so they can come back to it at a later date when they want to build one.

The adapter that you have made for the Dremel looks very good and I am sure it will come in very handy at times. Thanks for sharing it with us.
:bow: :bow:

Cheers :)

Don

Hi Dave,
It allows me to have a tool post mounted drill............using the Dremel Model 800 that I have it is cordless (no wires to get caught up) and operational speeds from 5000-35000 RPM.
It can be used for very small # drills, and a very high speed baby tool grinder if you need to polish a shaft or surface.
Kindest Regards
Beagles

Hi Beagles I have been wanting to make a tool post holder. Your idea will give me a good start on my plans.You didn't do anything wrong. There may be alot of people that are not registered so may not be able to post,hang in their we all like your pictures .Welcome .Thanks Dale

Slick looking tool holder Beagles!

If by aircraft aluminum, you mean 7075, then I hear ya!

(every grade of AL is used on aircraft)

It cuts clean and won't weld up on your tool.

Have fun!

Lockstocknbarrel said:
Hi Dave,
It allows me to have a tool post mounted drill............using the Dremel Model 800 that I have it is cordless (no wires to get caught up) and operational speeds from 5000-35000 RPM.
It can be used for very small # drills, and a very high speed baby tool grinder if you need to polish a shaft or surface.
Kindest Regards
Beagles

Thanks Beagles (Sorry for the Andrew),

I better go look at my Dremmel and see if it's the same.

Dave.

NIce one Beagles, I was thinking of something along the same line. Thanks for proving the design.
Brock

Hi Kevin, Dave, Brock.
It has worked out to be a very versatile tool, as I said put a small grind tip in and away you go at 35000 rpm.
PLEASE COVER THE LATHE BEDWAY WITH OIL SOAKED CLOTH THIS WILL GRAB THE FINE GRINDING DUST
This is a great site for a dying art form.
I have other toys I will post shortly.

Very nice job, I think I will try this out.

I use paper towel instead of a rag for covering the bed. Getting a rag caught in the work and slapping me over and over at high speed is no fun. :)

Nice work! They are a very handy gizmo to have - I made one a few months ago, same basic principle but mine locks the thread in place (belt & braces). Not as neat a job as yours tho'

Latest posts

Back