Tool not cutting properly

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My suggestion is to get some indexable tools with carbide inserts while you learn to grind HSS, (those brazed on tools are crap) it will take a while to learn and you can be making parts with the carbide in the meantime. All these photos are carbide inserts and AR Warner tools on brass, aluminum, and the steel black oxide studs. Little machine shop is a good place to look around for all those tools, the HSS learners kit and the indexable tools. I'd get the kit with the left, right and middle (for threading) tool holders. Comes with an extra insert which makes four. They're triangles so you can rotate them when they get dull, which won't be often. the kit is $69.99. The tools are hardened and high quality, your tool post will leave no marks on these.

IMG_1424.JPG

IMG_1399.JPG

IMG_1244.JPG

IMG_1631.JPG

I have and love the indexable tooling from AR Warner. I have purchased directly from the company. Mike is an upstanding businessman he supports the hobby and his tools are made by he and his family in Latrobe PA.
His HSS inserts perform extremely well on brass. But they are an investment at $120 for a set.

As far as using carbide yes it can be done. It is my opinion based on training and experience that carbide is better left to 1 HP lathes and above. MIKBUL your fine southbend has a 1 1/2 HP motor so I see where carbide is a good choice for you and your machine can easily power carbide at the higher speeds that carbide likes.
My concern is that Bens lathe has a considerably less powerful motor in the 350 to 500 watt range . 1 hp is 750 watts. so the performance with carbide may not be there for him. Also i expect his mini lathe is a bit less rigid.
Tin

Agree with Tin about Warner indexable HSS. Sharpening is about a simple as it gets. Remove insert. Invert insert. Press top of insert on a piece of wet-dry. Press on insert with finger and move it around (I'm a fan of the figure 8). Switch to finer grit paper. Finally, replace insert. Takes 5 minutes. No grinder needed.

I have and love the indexable tooling from AR Warner. I have purchased directly from the company. Mike is an upstanding businessman he supports the hobby and his tools are made by he and his family in Latrobe PA.
His HSS inserts perform extremely well on brass. But they are an investment at $120 for a set.

As far as using carbide yes it can be done. It is my opinion based on training and experience that carbide is better left to 1 HP lathes and above. MIKBUL your fine southbend has a 1 1/2 HP motor so I see where carbide is a good choice for you and your machine can easily power carbide at the higher speeds that carbide likes.
My concern is that Bens lathe has a considerably less powerful motor in the 350 to 500 watt range . 1 hp is 750 watts. so the performance with carbide may not be there for him. Also i expect his mini lathe is a bit less rigid.
Tin

The tools I have were origionally used with my 500 watt 7x16 micromark mini lathe. All the aluminum and brass pieces on top of my tool box were done with that lathe, the others were the 8K. Also the premium bundle I bought from Little Machine Shop made for a mini lathe all came with carbide inserts. Question is what is the wattage of the lathe in question, is it 350 or 500, if 500 he'll have no problem. If 350, I agree, best stay away from carbide. I didn't even consider he'd have less than 500 watt brushless.:eek:

Just for info:
These brushless motors can't be compaired to a brushed motor apples to apples. I don't think Chris at LMS would be selling packages for mini lathes that aren't capable of using the tools in it. The machines that the tools are compatable with are listed with the tools at LMS. If a no go then like I said they have a beginners HSS tool set with a properly ground tool to copy.

I have an old set of feeler gauges for shim stock. And some thin brass bar stock.

Latest posts

Back