Tool List

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brass_Machine

Reaction score
I am trying to build up my current tools. There are so many specialty tools that I don't have, I have lost count of what I want (or should have). I see the many tools that the great people here make. So I am creating a list of things to either build or buy to add to my current tool collect... What I need is some input from those with more experience than what I have. Bear in mind that I have a X2 mill and a 7X lathe. I have the R8 spindle, various end mills (2 and 4 flute), rotary table, DRO, Belt confersion, etc on the mill. The lathe is new (not modded... yet). I have the 3 jaw chuck, some cutting tools... not a lot really.

My current list:

QCTP - Building it now... I know I know, they are cheap to buy.
Ball Turning Tool
Depth Gauge - Elmers version
Thickness Gauge - Elmers Version
Knurler
Marv's slide hammer
Tap guide
Small tube bender

So what else would be good to build or buy? Bear in mind that 'build' is the key word here. I would much rather build something than buy it.

Thanks!
Eric

Replying to my own post...

Just saw Roger's Magnetic base helping hands....

Check. Another added to the list.

Eric

In the HSM magazine article, there was a tube bender that was part of the plans for the Snow Engine project. It looked to be pretty simple and appeared to make nice bends. If you'd like, I can get the information (issue, month, etc.) for you should you not have it available.

In the latest issue of HSM, there is a project called the pillar tool that has caught my eye. It can be used for tapping, as well as other things. One of the processes the author uses it for is a stamp fixture. With some ingenuity, the tool looks to be very adaptable for a number of things.

Hope this helps!

I have both of those issues. Haven't really taken a good look at the tube bender... I will have to dig through my pile and see.

Thanks
Eric

Here is a basic list I put together a while back you have a lot of it covered.
Lathe
1) drill chuck
2) live center
3) 4 jaw chuck you can live without a 3 jaw if needed but nice if in budget.
4) QC tool holder almost always used tool.
5) tool bit blanks learn to grind your own
6) Get a knurling tool that puts the force on the part not the lathe.
you can make one of these to save the budget.

Mill :
1) Vise
2) find some steel strapping and you have parrallels
3) tool holders or collet set
4) Mill cutters
5) fly cutter
6) edge finder/wigglers

both:
1) Full 115 pc drill index a good set from enco will be about $120
an decent import set will work USA made are superior.
2) a set of center drills
3) boring bars

Measuring/ layout tools
1) 6 inch calipers import digital are a good value
2) a quality 0-1 Micrometer.
3) a machinist square
4) some sort of indicator.
5) hermaphrodite/jenny calipers
6) 6 in rule

At some point a granite surface plate and height gage come in handy.
optical center punch buy or make

In my experience you are better off buying what you need to do a project . as the projects get more complex you will want to add tools.
Tin

Elmer's beam compass is a very useful tool.

compass.jpg

Note that the pencil/pen/scriber can be replaced by:

A center punch for laying out holes for chain drilling
or
An X-acto knife for cutting out gaskets.

Also, you can never have too many depth gauges.

depgage1.jpg

(They're a minor fetish item for me.) Many of mine have a quick lock button feature for capturing the measurement in locations where it's awkward to reach the locking nut. (I can expand on that if you want to do so too.)

Marv,

Definitely gonna do Elmers' beam compass.

Could you provide more infor on your quick lock for the depth gauge?

Eric

Make the parts for your depth gauge. You'll need the base, the pin that passes through the base, and the knurled lock nut that tightens onto the threaded pin to draw it tight against the measuring rod (not shown in first picture).

Note that a small button has been formed on the end of the pin on the end opposite the lock nut. Before drilling the hole for the measuring rod through the base and pin, assemble as shown with a washer holding the button proud of the base. Lock the washer in place by tightening the lock screw. Then drill the hole for the measuring rod

depgage2.jpg

Now, to complete the assembly, remove the washer and insert the measuring rod. You'll note that the button stands proud of the base. Simply pressing on the button will lock in the measurement until you can withdraw the gauge from some awkward location and reach the knurled knob to lock the measuring rod.

depgage3.jpg

These are some handy toold that you are showing us. Thanks, Wes

Eric, you sound overwhelmed, the only essentials i see on this list are the QCTP and tap guide....one you making and the other is simply any old round slug of metal faced and an appropriate size hole drilled in it. You missed one essential though, the four jaw chuck - the three jaws a luxury but the four is essential. Tin's list is also good and well thought ouyt. Make the rest of the stuff as you need and want it - personally i find tool making an enjoyable part of the hobby - its great to able to make your own quality stuff.

here are some ideas for a tube bender. A tube bender in itself is easy, what is difficult is a tube bender that will do a small radius (of say the tube dia) and maintain the a proper circular profile through the bend and not plough up a bunch of material to the end of the bend. I spent a bunch of time trying to solve this and came up with the one in shown in this thread...

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=24051&highlight=bender

The stuff i had to bend is prominent on some models so i wanted it just so; if you are bending say oil lines for a machine do not bother going to this extent!

Brass_Machine, don't worry about filling the entire list before you take off on a project. We are throwing many ideas your way. All of these items are great, but focus on your true basics and then start machining. As Mcgyver stated, make up the tooling as you go and you may find that some of the "Oh, I really need one of those" tools may not fit your needs so well (this is not in any way taking away from any of the tooling that anyone has made and displayed here) and discover others that you really can utilize.

Of course, if you want to make tooling, then by all means do it. Nothing wrong with that at all! The decision is certainly yours, and we will help in whatever endevours you choose. As a side note, if I am not careful, I will find myself out making tooling because it just looks cool. ;D

Mcgyver, you really should (okay, okay, please!) post the tubing bender and straightner over here on this board. The work you did on them is outstanding, and I am sure the members here would really appreciate seeing it.

Marv, one day I would like to visit your shop in person! Partly to see your tooling. Oh yeah, and to meet you as well! ;)

A tool box to keep track of your tools. Don't worry about the size as they always get filled up.

Kenny

I understand it looks like I might be overwhelmed. Really I am not. My other hobby\part time business is building race and track motorcycles... I have a great understanding of what it is like to work with or need the right tool. OFC, it might be easier to understand me if you know how much I like tools... ;D

Marv, very cool! I like the workmanship. Thanks!

Tin... Thanks for the link

Mcgyver, I know that bender. I have seen links to it on various boards and from Bobs CNCcookbook. As insane as I am and with my taste for well crafted tools, I will probably attempt something like that. Very nice indeed. Didn't include a 4 jar chuck because that is a definite purchase for me (not a build it myself).

1Kenny... Got a few of those, wouldn't mind a nice handcrafted wooden one for the handcrafted tools tho..

Many thanks all!

Eric
The insane tool collector

wareagle said:
...As a side note, if I am not careful, I will find myself out making tooling because it just looks cool. ;D ...

That about says it :D

Eric

Latest posts

Back