Took the Plunge - Bought Alibre Standard

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the notes. I was afraid there was no limit constraint. Its OK, Im really interested in the assembly not the motion.

This machine will be moved in X and Y by belt drive. Z will be a lead screw. It has about 14" X and Y travel and 3" Z. Its meant for general small routing, the first application will be to engrave names in bricks for a fund raising project at the Boothbay Railway Village.

I have created a couple of the parts as dxf files and imported them to sheetcam and it all works. So as soon as I decide it done I ought to be able to cut all the parts on my Jet knee mill in just a couple hours.

This is the first time Ive designed a project so fully. I usually start assembling pieces and hacking away at parts as I go. Alibre is making the design a very simple process.

Well I know this is an old thread but I just finally got Alibre to work on my laptop and Alibre was kind enough to get me the 30 trial version again. I wasn't able to use it before but I think they changed the install some. I just finished the extrude lesson and made a print from it with dimensions and I am now onto the Revolve lesson. Wish me luck..:)

deere_x475guy said:
Wish me luck..:)

Good luck Bob ;D ........... we'll be interested to hear how you get on with it though

CC

Just a heads up, they are having a one off special sale and selling the full standard package which should be $999 for $99.00

No not a typo ninety nine US dollars.

Bought it last night and it's not crippled in any way.

Go to top of the page at http://www.alibre.com

John S.

John,

When I tried to do it it asked me to contact my local reseller? It mentions something about the offer only being valid in US and Canada. Was this the same for you or did you just put your card in and pay $99?

I have the free version and love it but it's too limited!

Cheers,

Nick

Hi John,

Do you have any idea when the 'limited time offer' ends?

Did you receive the package as a download? Can it be saved off to disc in case the computer dies?

Can the 'Standard' edition be added to or upgraded later?

Does it take a more powerful computer than a 'standard' laptop? (I have an HP Pavilion.)

Thanks.

I clicked through the links to get to the 'page'. It's only a field of fill in the blank boxes wanting your name email and usage data about cad program usage.

Appearantly they contact you through email with the offer...

If I had something more than this 12 year old laptop I'd jump on this so fast the wife wouldn't know the money was gone till I was making parts... ;)

Kermit

NickG
zeeprogrammer

I was just checking into this and it looks like a basic version. No support and no upgrades. It looks to me like you only get what you pay for. I think that they do this kind of deal just a bit before they bring out the next newest greatest version to try and suck you in get your money. ;D ;D

Hope this helps

Cheers

Don

That's right. (But 'basic' is 'standard'.) If you put in your info and press 'Learn More'...they'll have two or three offers for support and upgrades (Aah...that answered one of my questions.) $400 and up.

Thanks Don.

Kermit said:
I clicked through the links to get to the 'page'. It's only a field of fill in the blank boxes wanting your name email and usage data about cad program usage.

Appearantly they contact you through email with the offer...

If I had something more than this 12 year old laptop I'd jump on this so fast the wife wouldn't know the money was gone till I was making parts... ;)

Kermit

Kermit

You have to give them all your information first then click for more information and the next screen will come up and give you more details. If you don't buy you can be sure that you will get an offer every week for the next year to buy it for half price. That happened to me the last time I tried their free offer.

Cheers

Don

I'm just coming to the end of my 30 day free trial and have just received the $99 offer, at that price i think ill be buying it, even the basic package is enough for my needs. Theres plenty of support for Alibre from other sources CNCzone has a nice section on it with information on linking second source parts catalogs to the Alibre BASIC package (save loads of time drawing fixings and standard parts). Theres even plenty of videos and free tutorials out there.

I didn't bother with the trial offer just clicked on the $99 "Buy Now", filled in the blanks and 5 mins later I was downloading it

ZP, all my downloaded files are now backed up, (complete with emails giving account details) on 3 separate hard drives, can't see any reason why you can't put it on CD either if you want. Sounds like you could do with a 2GHz processor and 2Mb of RAM for it to run OK, but for simple parts a lesser spec would probably work OK.

I've been using an old version of AutocadLT for years and never needed the newer "Bells and Whistles" features yet, I presume this will be similar and for $99 I think it will prove to be good value for me .......... $9.90 for the next 10 years, then I might think about an upgrade ;D

CC

dsquire said:
...you can be sure that you will get an offer every week for the next year to buy it for half price. That happened to me the last time I tried their free offer.
Cheers
Don

That's a given. I have special email accounts I create that are basically one time use. After I recieve the response I desired I never go back to that account again. I know with Hotmail they close the account after a set number of days and then delete it completely after a few more weeks without re-activation. It's a sad fact of internet life, but there are ways of coping ;)

woodchip85 said:
Theres plenty of support for Alibre from other sources...

I've come across some of it in my searches for cad programs. No support is not necessarily 'no support'. ;)

And I'm like you CrewCab. I use something till it falls apart and then try to patch it up and keep on using it. If I ever spring for a program I'll use it till it has more than paid for itself.

Witness the 1999 Compaq laptop running WinME I'm currently using... :-[

Pinching pennies till nickles fall out,
Kermit

CrewCab said:
I didn't bother with the trial offer just clicked on the $99 "Buy Now", filled in the blanks and 5 mins later I was downloading it

ZP, all my downloaded files are now backed up, (complete with emails giving account details) on 3 separate hard drives, can't see any reason why you can't put it on CD either if you want. Sounds like you could do with a 2GHz processor and 2Mb of RAM for it to run OK, but for simple parts a lesser spec would probably work OK.

I've been using an old version of AutocadLT for years and never needed the newer "Bells and Whistles" features yet, I presume this will be similar and for $99 I think it will prove to be good value for me .......... $9.90 for the next 10 years, then I might think about an upgrade ;D

CC

I believe you are legally able to load this on three computers. When you activate you are given a program that generates a code for your machine and you have to give your computer a name. You do this on each machine you want to install this on. Doing this allows them to keep track of how many pc's you have it installed on. I think chances are pretty slim you will get this to work by passing on the emails and the install files. But I have been wrong before.

This is part of what is stated in the order information email I just recieved.

If installing Alibre Design for the first time, you will be prompted to enter your Alibre username and password when starting the product for the first time. A license key will automatically be created by the Alibre web server and you can begin using the product immediately. After that point, any future license updates are delivered automatically.

Right now my Home page says 30 day trial. I think I have to restart the program for it to query the updated license. I will try that now.

Yep that's just what it did. It updated through the server. It now has the Trail version gone.

I have been using Corel Draw version 8 now for many years. It's ok but with the little time I have spent with Alibre I can tell I will be much quicker with my drawings (you do sketching in 3D to start). I still have a few things in the 3D part that I need to study more and I should be well on my way.

Just to be clear, I've only installed this on one machine, the copies are just back up's of the install disk's in case the computer crashes.

CC

At work we've got unigraphics and I think this alibre is more user friendly than that. It is a complete bargain at that price, not bothered about the lack of support really. As someone said, there are other sources of support. Definitely fancy this!

deere_x475guy said:
am doing pretty well for an ole guy

Hey! We're the same age. Careful. You become what you say. ;D

I bought Alibre too. It'll be a while before I do anything with it. Just seemed too good to pass up. Thanks for the PMs to help me Bob.

deere_x475guy said:
I have been doing the online modules and am doing pretty well for an ole guy with a notorious bad memory..:)

This "Old Guy" will be following along before too long ............... thanks for paving the way Bob, please feel free to leave a few hints here and there 8)

CC

Latest posts

Back