Took the Plunge - Bought Alibre Standard

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfellows

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I bought the Standard version of Alibre Design today. I contacted their sales department and was able to get it for 50% off. I've never spent that much on software in my life, so I have a bit of an adrenaline rush going right now!

Chuck

Chuck,

Congratulations. :bow:

I am playing with the express version. I don't know much, (nothing really) about 3D. In my own mind I have come to a sort of idea that with 3D one needs to work from the inside to the outside.

In 2D I seem to start with the overall dimensions and fit the parts into it. With 3D it seems to work better for me if I start with the crank, conrod, piston etc and grow the thing out to the cylinder, block etc.

I'm still not with it yet and if my thinking is base over apex I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised.

Best Regards
Bob

I've used a couple of approaches in learning Alibre. The first is based on his drawing:

crankcase.png

Here I started out by drawing the end face in 2D, rounding the corners, then extruding to a solid block. Then, I cut out the circular opening all the way thru, and finally used the shell command to hollow out the inside.

You can also use an additive process to build up shapes by drawing in 2D, extruding, drawing another 2D on a face, then extruding again, etc.

Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty fast. However, I still have an awful lot to learn.

Alibre's website, as well as youtube, have a lot of videos that help get you started.

Chuck

I have been using Alibre for about a fortnight (the free version) and at the second attempt to get it to run, thinks its great! So much to learn though. Congratulations on buying the full version. I received an email recently from Alibre with a reduced price so can understand your comment about the price. If you've got it then why not!

I do, it seems, have an advantage that my 2D CAD experience is also zero so the 3D concept seems fine to me. No doubt if I had been brought up on earlier drawing packages I would have to adjust my thinking. Its about time that being a novice in something is an advantage!

My problem is that I do not know enough yet to see the limitations that the free version holds compared to the full version. They are obviously there otherwise they wouldn't sell any copies that need a mortgage to afford! Look forward to hearing more about your experiences. MM

The main reason I bought the full version is for the 2D drafting plans it produces from the 3d drawings. I'm not a draftsman and while I can use the computer to make 2d drawings sufficient for my needs, I struggle with making 2 drawings that others can use for building an engine.

Ironically, I'm hoping this will greatly increase the quality of my 2d drawings for others to use.

I'm also realizing that the 10 part limitation on assemblies in the free edition could quickly be used up in engines with even moderate complexity.

Finally, I keep hoping there might be serendipitous functionality in commercial versions of software, even though I'm frequently disappointed by same!

Chuck

Chuck,

Been using full Alibre for some time. I Wanted my own software that wasn't a bootleg or to be beholding to someone else. Love it!

Dave

Chuck,

I am not too bad with Alibre (not great either), but if I can help... you know how to get a hold of me.

Eric

'''' you know how to get a hold of me....."

Ditto!....if you need some help....

Dave

cfellows said:
I'm also realizing that the 10 part limitation on assemblies in the free edition could quickly be used up in engines with even moderate complexity.
Chuck

That limitation is a bit of a problem, I have made assemblies with dozens of parts, they add up fast when you include bearings, bolts etc.

Try breaking the job up into subassembly's that can be used separately IE: an engine crankcasewith cover and crankshft, rod and piston or a cylinder head with fittings. It won't be as good but it better then paying seriously big money.

Thanks to this thread, I am trying Alibre again. The last time I tried it was version 9 and my laptop was just not up to the challenge. With V11 and my new AMD Turion 64x2 it is terrific. I have got about 5 hours invested in learning and I am hooked. It's almost as much fun as making chips.

Here are a couple of my feeble efforts so far.

I know I will loose some functions when my 30 day trial ends. Does anyone know exactly what limitations I will face?

Best to all

Jerry

Spider on shaft.jpg

knob on arm.jpg

cfellows said:

Chuck

Would it be possible to link two or more parts together so they form a single part thereby working around the 10 part limitation ?

Looks like you've mastered some of the sweep functions. I haven't dabbled with those yet. I'm just now mastering assemblies, which I'm sure is pretty simple stuff for the experienced CAD users. It's coming to me, but not as fast as I'd like.

The only differences that I know of, and I'm sure this is not all of them, is the limitation of 10 parts per assembly and the lack of the 2d drafting prints in the express version. I think the core program is the same and the functionality is determined only by the license codes you have.

One of the exciting things I just learned is that you can manually cause parts to move just like they would in the completed engine. It's done by putting the parts together in an assembly and specifying constraints on how the part can move. I did a crankshaft, connecting rod, piston, wristpin, cylinder, etc., and with the proper constrants, when I rotated the crank with my mouse, the connecting rod and piston all moved in the proper relationship.

Chuck

David Morrow said:
Would it be possible to link two or more parts together so they form a single part thereby working around the 10 part limitation ?

I think the answer is yes. I think you can form parts into sub-assemblies then combine sub-assemblies into larger assemblies.

Chuck

You can also draw two parts on the same .AD_PRT screen in their fixed location,
such as a cylinder with a soldered end cap.

Jerry

cfellows said:
One of the exciting things I just learned is that you can manually cause parts to move just like they would in the completed engine. It's done by putting the parts together in an assembly and specifying constraints on how the part can move. I did a crankshaft, connecting rod, piston, wristpin, cylinder, etc., and with the proper constrants, when I rotated the crank with my mouse, the connecting rod and piston all moved in the proper relationship.

Chuck

You have found one of the big features of 3D CAD You can move things, and check for interfearences, check timing, and even let the model suggest locations for other parts.

Frank

I bought Alibe a year ago, but never reaally started to use it until last week. Fo the past 3 days I have been at it all day, and half the night, designing a new CNC router.

It was a bit bumpy for a while, but now Im into it and its going great. Im up to about 12 parts and now can quite quickly build a part and add it in.

I love the ability to go back and edit a part and have the assembly update.

Is there a way to add a limit constraint? I have some sliding bearings that I have constrained to be aligned with the rods, and that works OK,but you can slide the thing right off the end of the rod, right through and end bracket.

Ive also found it very unpredictable about which way things can move- I have a 3 axis machine so parts can move in 3 directions. If I try to raise the Z plate the display is more likely to slide along the Y axis. The rotate display is also kind of strange, I can wobble the display all around, but its hard to make it go exactly where I want it.

Here is what Ive done so far. With luck Ill have this machine done to take to NAMES

Assy.JPG

How are you moving the sliding sections? By gearing or by belting(wire)?

I was part of a design and prototype building team for a pharmaceutical dispensing maching that moved in three axis. The Z probe elevator was on a toothed belt and the xy axis motors were multiwrapped spindles that spooled and unspooled a polymer coated steel wire anchored at the ends of the slide bars Very Simple drive motor system that re-zeroed before every move. Speed wasn't a requirement but accuracy in placement was.

This build will interest me very much,
Kermit

I don't know how alibre works but Inventor has a function called "derived part" which allows you to take two or more parts and combine them into one new part (a combination of the two or one subracted from the other) by using boolean functions. In recent versions they have come up with the "derived assembly" which does the same thing with assemblies.

Possibly Alibre has something like this, then a 10 part assembly could become 1 part.

RonGinger said:

Is there a way to add a limit constraint? I have some sliding bearings that I have constrained to be aligned with the rods, and that works OK,but you can slide the thing right off the end of the rod, right through and end bracket.

Ron,

I've done some reading up on the Alibre Forum and don't believe the software has the capability to set limits on motion. However, there are some work arounds discussed - have to admit, I don't understand them exactly.

Also, I think you can make the motions more predictable by constraining parts to planes and/or axes. Again, not sure how, but hopefully I'll figure it out.

Chuck

Latest posts

Back