Took the Plunge - Bought Alibre Standard

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arv, I will be happy to try to help out when I get home this evening. The easiest way for us to get this done would be using voice with Skype and a program called Team Viewer. Doing it this way will allow me to see your screen in real time and the voice on Skype will allow me talk you through it. If your interested in doing this let me know and we will set up the programs on your PC. I spent several hours on Sunday with Circlip on Sunday with is method.

Here is the link to Team Viewer:
www.TeamViewer.com

Here is the link to Skype:
http://www.skype.com/

PS, this goes for any of the memebers that need help that I maybe able to give. I am a newbie also but I am willing to pass on what I have learned so far.

Bob, I should be getting a disk from Alibre any day now. I will reload my program off the disk to see if things work better for me. If not, we may try it your way.

I'm a little hesitant about loading any more programs on this computer as it is getting so slow, but if that is the only way to get me going on Alibre, so be it.

Thanks so much for offering to help me. I need it!!!!

Arv your welcome, and this isn't the only way for me to help I just know that it works well and is very fast and efficient. I should have mentioned that you need a highspeed connection for it to work also. You could send me the file your working on and I could try to find where things are going wrong for you. Can you take a screen shot of the left side where the Design explorer is? Expand all of the + signs and maybe I or someone else can tell from there what the problem may be. I did the bearing race so when I get home (after 7:30 PM) I can try to compare what mine looks like to yours.

I am really tempted to go for this - I am currently sitting on my hands (proverbally ;)). It seems there are 10 days left of the offer which is for version 11.x. At the end of the month they remove the offer and release version 12.

Don't sit on your hands, just buy it at that price, it's a snip!

Eskibob to give you an idea of how easy this is to catch on to I did a quick 3d drawing of a Macro Focusing Rail I made for my wife on her birthday several years ago. I started the dimension drawing also but it's getting late so I will post the drawning for you tomrrow. If anyone is interesting in building one I will finish all the parts and upload it to the uploads area. Anyway I took a couple of pictures of it for you to see and then I spent about 30 minutes doing the 3d drawing and that included getting the dimensions of the already built body.

IMG00229-20090918-2040.jpg

Here is the 3d drawing of the body
body.jpg

Actually while previewing this I realized I missed the mounting hole for the tripod on the bottom so I will fix that tomorrow.

Nice one deere_x475guy, that example gives people an idea how quick and effective it is to use.

Nick

If anyone is still sitting on the fence and hasn't taken advantage of the $99 offer for Alibre Standard there are only three days left.

That's right the offer ends Sunday September 27.

I dont think Alibre is my first choice for 3d modelling (im told Solidworks would be better) but I also got it at the 99 bucks special a couple of months ago. At that price I am happy to live with what some perceive as limitations. Im no expert at CAD so its most likely that I will never even realise what these limitations are (an engineer tried to explain it to me online a few weeks ago....I gave up).

When you consider that others are asking 2 3 or even 5 grand.... I can live with this and I must say that I actually enjoy it while occasionally being a little frustrated....

Good luck all......

Hi!

I bought it at the 99 bucks special and am having some troubles...
I have Solidworks on a laptop that i am allowed to borrow to design on, so i am slowly getting used to it.

With Alibre, when i try and use the tutorial files, it downloads the file to the desktop but i am unable to open it! I have tried many programs that are supposed to open that extension but to no avail...
Any ideas??

So far it looks harder than solidworks to me, but maybe i am more used to it!

I got an e-mail offering Albre standard for $199 I presume v 12 not sure if is an open offer of for v11 purchasers.
Tin

Yea it's over today Tin, I had my older laptop die and ended up getting a new one. Of course it only has Windows 7 and it's 64 bit. Looks like I will be updating...but it's not in the budget today....unfortunately..

Latest posts

Back