Tonka Truck

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMyers

Reaction score
When I was a kid I recall seeing in a magazine an article to convert a small Tonka Truck to steam power. Does anyone recall that or have that article ?

BMyers:
The plans were done by James Senft PHD

Your best bet is to contact Village press they should be able provide a copy

http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/

Address

Village Press Inc.
2779 Aero Park Drive
Traverse City, Mi 49686

Phone

800-327-7377
800-447-7367 Circulation (reprints, subscriptions)

Live Steam
P.O. Box 1810
Traverse City, MI 49685-1810

1-800-447-7367
Tin

I believe I have a set of those plans in an old hardcover book of collected Popular Science plans and projects from the '50's. Send me your e-mail and I'll see about getting you a set.
Anselme

Senft's steam truck is also in one of the Steam and Stirling Engines You Can Build books, but I don't recall if it's book 1 or 2 right now-- if you want to go that route, I can look it up.

It was in "Steam & Stirling - Book 1" - As has been mentioned it was written by James Senft. I have the book
but it is currently loaned out. I do not remember if there were actial construction plans or just a feature article. If you have to purchase the book, call Joe Rice at Bay Com and ask him if it is plans or just an article.

http://www.bay-com.com/

You might also contact James Senft directly and ask him. He is a professor university of Wisconsin.

http://www.uwrf.edu/math/faculty&staff/senft.html

Good Luck,
Harold
<disclaimer alert> BTW - I have no association with either the business or institution <end of disclaimer>

Harold Lee said:
It was in "Steam & Stirling - Book 1" - As has been mentioned it was written by James Senft. I have the book
but it is currently loaned out. I do not remember if there were actial construction plans or just a feature article. Harold
<disclaimer alert> BTW - I have no association with either the business or institution <end of disclaimer>

The Tonka Truck is only mentioned in passing in the S + S Book 1 it also shows a photo. It is basicaly an aside as part of another article.
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
The Tonka Truck is only mentioned in passing in the S + S Book 1 it also shows a photo. It is basicaly an aside as part of another article.
Tin
You are correct.. the caption even says "plans for the truck are not included in this book". They aren't in book 2 either.

I have the kit ,and the plans send me your address and Ill mail you a copy. If i remember right you can see one on youtube. I built the train first its all most done. It runs fine but the burner is hard to control.

Has anyone got the plans - I know, it is a very old thread, but I'm trying to find the plans!

mopar92, are you still around?

Ted I think a lot of us would like to know where to find or purchase these plans.
I for one have one of these trucks on my shelf would love to convert it.

the only info I have been able to find is a four page info ad in PM magazine Nov 1974 page 146 .
I hope this helps. And if you like this forum please help us and post an introduction in the welcome area.

Tin

Tonka 1.JPG

Tonka 2.JPG

Back