Time to Vote for the September Project of the Month

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nominations Are:

• zeeprogrammer's 4-0-4 Loco

• putputman's Tiny IC Engine

• dreeves Rudys Radical 5

Results are only viewable after voting.

rake60

Reaction score
Time for the Project of the Month vote.

The nominees are:

zeeprogrammer's 4-0-4 Loco

putputman's Tiny IC Engine

dreeves Rudys Radical 5

Beautiful works Carl, Arv and Dave! :bow:

Noe the hard part.
I have to vote for ONE!

Poll will colse at 9:00PM EDT Sept. 11.

Rick

Well, I've voted but, once again t'weren't easy - can I have another 2 goes?

Wait a minute, guys. Arv's engine was already in the POM last February. How many times can the same
engine by the same feller be in the running?

And, Dave's engine isn't even built yet.

Is this how it's supposed to be? Can't we wait until Dave gets his engine done?
And, shouldn't we give other people a chance instead of nominating the same engine twice?

Dean

With all due respect for these three fine projects, I have to agree with Dean's points. Last December we spent 4 pages of posts mulling over the guidlines for POM with no real conclusions that I can see other than leaving it pretty much the way it is. With the larger membership (almost 6000 now) and the greater diversity of projects of all types and skill levels, I have to wonder if the process isn't becoming strained at best. If the consensus is to keep the format much as it is, then at least I think we need some clearer guidelines written down and available to all. Personally, I would still prefer a format that somehow includes all of the projects completed during any given month..perhaps a scrolling header picture of all of those projects (if that could be done) that recognizes the diversity that makes this forum what it is.

Bill

These are 3 great projects submitted this month.

I do think that we should be voting on finished projects.

I'm not sure about the issue of projects being submitted multiple times.

I would like to see a library with pictures and links of all nominated and winner POM entry's. I know, probably easier said than done.

Regards,

SAM

b.lindsey said:
Personally, I would still prefer a format that somehow includes all of the projects completed during any given month..perhaps a scrolling header picture of all of those projects (if that could be done) that recognizes the diversity that makes this forum what it is.

I think the membership can do this one on our own. In the POM section every month, the first finished project builder can start a thread with the same topic every month. "Projects for October" could be next month. When a project is finished, just post a few pictures and a link to the build thread (if applies) in the monthly thread. This way there will be a place to go and see everything that has been completed for that month. Also this would add no further burden on the moderators who work hard enough as it is.

What do you think?

Good idea Steve. The only reason I mentioned scrolling header pics was for some form of recognition in lieu of the monthly vote and single picture, and I think it could also draw new folks in as they see the array of completed projects for the prior month. Ideally the pictures could be linked back to their respective build threads...though I am not a programmer by any means and neither am I trying to burden the mods. If that isn't doable, then I support your suggestion fully!!

Bill

HI just my 10p worth sum of us may be crap at spelling and for get to tack pics of all the processes in volved in making their progets as long as the projet is complet i see no problem

b.lindsey said:
The only reason I mentioned scrolling header pics was for some form of recognition in lieu of the monthly vote and single picture.

I'm sure it could be done, but the added work for the moderators would be unfair, unless they want to do it. I think this would be the best way and if somebody's project get's excluded, it would be the fault of ones self. There would be less potental for hurt feelings if everybody has to be responsible for there own project being posted. Just seemed to be the best, fairest way.

Would also be a great way of keeping track of projects that may have slipped under the radar.

krv3000 said:
HI just my 10p worth sum of us may be crap at spelling and for get to tack pics of all the processes in volved in making their progets as long as the projet is complet i see no problem

Yes! The thread would only welcome finished projects. It would not be the place to post your monthly progress.

stevehuckss396 said:
I think the membership can do this one on our own. In the POM section every month, the first finished project builder can start a thread with the same topic every month. "Projects for October" could be next month. When a project is finished, just post a few pictures and a link to the build thread (if applies) in the monthly thread. This way there will be a place to go and see everything that has been completed for that month. Also this would add no further burden on the moderators who work hard enough as it is.

What do you think?

Steve,

That is a good idea, "Projects for August" thread would be a good way to see what projects have been completed during the month. I agree that the moderators do not need to be burdened with any more tasks.

Respectfully,

SAM

I second the notion of a member responsible posting thread for finished projects.

I have always wanted a place to find all the videos, and posted pictures of the finished projects, in one convenient thread.

This would make it easier to find all the wonderful things without searching through 100's of pages of posts to find the picture you want.

I think this would be an excellent start to a popular thread, Kinda like "Show Us Your Lathe" but it would be finished projects instead.

Just my 2 bits (inflation)

Kel

What do you think Moderators?

We respectfully ask permission to do this. We cant do it without your help.

We would need your help in maintainance in the event that someone post something that does not belong.

Thoughts?

I like that idea myself and will set up a topic on the POTM board.

Please help us out by reminding members who finish a project in the time frame to
add a thread about it to the new topic.

Rick

rake60 said:
I like that idea myself and will set up a topic on the POTM board.

Please help us out by reminding members who finish a project in the time frame to
add a thread about it to the new topic.

Rick

The idea is to have a single thread every month started by the first builder who finishes a project for that month and a single post in that thread by builders who finish after. Nothing special need be done by the moderators unless you want to start the thread every month.

And as I understand what Steve proposed the post should only include one or a few pictures of the finished project and a link back to its build thread...is that correct Steve?

Bill

There is now a board under the "Showing Them" category titled
"Finished Projects" Let's see how that works as a place for the
monthly finished works.

Rick

Yep....there it is....thanks Rick...and to Steve too for the idea.

Bill

b.lindsey said:
And as I understand what Steve proposed the post should only include one or a few pictures of the finished project and a link back to its build thread...is that correct Steve?

Bill

Yes that is exactly correct. I would think that 3 pics would be max. I would suggest that a winner would be retired but nominees that do not win could be nominated again. That way if there are 2 exceptional builds in a single month, both could be winners depending on the voters.

Latest posts

Back