This is my projects so far.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobby

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hi,
This is a nice forum to share our projects.
I've been into homeshop machining as a hobby, among many other hobbies, for around 7 years now.
I started out making all kinds of tooling and small repair parts, then about 2 years ago I got interested in designing and building mechanical projects.
So I looked on the inernet to see a animation of how a steam engine works, and after finding the concept, I got on my cad program and designed my own from scratch.
it is a double acting classic steam engine, it was a lot of learning experiance to get it wotking did a lot of reworking and rebuilding until I finally got it to work,
but once I did then the rest of the engines after became easier to get running on the first or second try.

I have a 7 x 10 mini lathe, and a Micro-mill drill, (harbor freight) and a 4x6 bandsaw and a small benchtop metal bandsaw. Benchtop grinder, and drill press. Among other tooling and such.

Here is the first one.

firstengine.jpg

second one, this runs forward and reverse, depending on wich side air is intaked.

secondengine.jpg

third one, this one is not the steam engine concept, but works with valves and rocker arms, pushrods, still a steam (compressed air engine) just a inter comb. engine concept.
This is a poor design for the intake valve, due to high pressure intake, causes the intake valve to remain pushed down into the cykinder, that's why a heavy valve spring on the one side and a lite spring on the exhaust.
Works good just can't over work the air intake.

thirdengine.jpg

Fourth engine, learned from my mistake with the intake valve and designed a intake valve system that does not enter into the cylinder, but the air is routed around it when depressed in it's own compartment, this is the best running yet, it is self starting when air is applied, even has a throttle.

fourthenginefront.jpg

another view.
fourthengineside.jpg

And this one I am currently working on on weekends,
it is a horizontal 4 cyl. engine, an aircrafty type concept.

fifthengineinthemaking.jpg

Thankyou.
For letting me share.
and
Merry Christmas
God Bless...

I'll second the 'wows'...thanks for sharing that stuff! I'm looking forward to more updates on that Flat Four.

Welcome to the forum hobby.
Yeah...I'll be interested in seeing more. Absolutely.

Welcome to HMEM hobby.

Interesting builds! :bow:

Rick

Very impressive, especially considering they are designed from scratch.

Jim

I like the mechanical looking aspect of your engines. Things like the size of the rockers and links give it almost a robotical look. They're very nice in that they're a departure from the standard looking engine. Keep up the good work.
gbritnell

Hobby,

Welcome to our forum.
icon_welcome.gif

Impressive designs. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Thankyou,
Everyone for the nice warm welcome,
and the compliments.

When I get my next engine done, I'll be sure to post it.

Have a great day... :)

+1 on gbritnell's comments. I also like the look - there are obvious signs of the "style" or family lineage amongst the engines. Great work! Welcome to the cage!!

Garry

Hi Hobby - I hope that you will become a regular visitor to HMEM. Seasons Greetings - Billmc

Here is an update to my current engine, design and build.

Crankshaft built up and installed.
And piston con. rods connected.
Temporary flywheel.

100_1344.jpg

100_1343-2.jpg

Have a great day.. :)

here was a fun project.

Looked for a picture of those kwik clamps, on the innernet. then tried to fabricate my own the real fun part was designing the fixtures needed to hold the parts for machining.

100_1357.jpg

another update on the horizontal.

Using my build thread to practice posting updates on my projects, to learn how to make my postings somewhat interesting. Before I use the "work in progress" forum.

last few days, I made a wooden fixture and double stick taped it (after acurate lining up) to my rotary table, than clamped down 4 (intake) rocker blanks, and milled the profile.

Then made a new wooden fixture for the exhaust rocker blanks, (there larger in lenghth) and did the same.

100_1347.jpg

100_1349.jpg

100_1350.jpg

then milled out the recesses on both sides.

100_1351.jpg

100_1353.jpg

then machined the shafts for the rockers to rock on.

100_1358.jpg

100_1359.jpg

and the assembly of the rockers (preliminary), for test fits.
100_1360.jpg

100_1361.jpg

Nice work Hobby, can't wait to see that one run!

IronHorse

Some more updates on my latest project.

Now it's time to figure the angles needed to drill through the block, that holds the push rod tubes.

100_1364.jpg

100_1365.jpg

100_1366.jpg

100_1367.jpg

100_1368.jpg

100_1369.jpg

Now to record all the dimensions measured.

100-1363.jpg

100_1362.jpg

It turns out to be a compound angle, 1.14 deg. on the horizontal, and 4.34 deg. on the verticle.

Now to make a drilling jig that is tilted at a compund angle.

the first angle block screwed to a wooden jig, attached to my rotary table.

100_1370.jpg

Now I'll set the RT, to 0 and mill the bottom, and one side to be the datums to work off of. first.

100_1371.jpg

100_1372.jpg

Now I'll turn the RT. to 4.34 deg. to mill the top section, at the angle.

100_13705.jpg

100_1374.jpg

The first angled block done.

100_1373.jpg

Now the second one is milled at the 1.14 deg.

100_1375.jpg

Both blocks milled and ready to be assembled together.

100_1377.jpg

Both blocks are now glued together at there proper orientations. To become the final drilling jig.

100_1378.jpg

100_1379.jpg

Time to set up for the drilling of the actual workpiece.

100_1380.jpg

100_1379.jpg

100_1381.jpg

Now drilling the workpiece.

100_1382.jpg

100_1383.jpg

Now a test fit to see how the angles look.

Top view.

100_1384.jpg

and side view.

100_1385.jpg

Ok lets cut a piece of 1/4" rod which will be the dia. of the push rod tube, and see how well it lines up with the center of the cam (eccentric), and the target point on the rocker arm.

100_1386.jpg

Lines up exactly as planned.

100_1387.jpg

100_1388.jpg

That is just the intake tube.

Now I need to recalculate the angles and make another angled drilling jig, for the exhaust tubes as well.

All in all by taking my time this cam out very acurately.

Thanks for taking a look.

Have a great day... :)

some more updates,

I took 1/4 steel rod, and drilled and reamed an inside diameter to 0.1865",
this will be the pushrod tubes.

Then I took all neccesary measurements, and built up another compound angle drilling fixture.

100_1389.jpg

This happens to be 0.9 deg. down on vertical axis, and 2.8 deg. to the right on the horizontal axis.

Here is the results of todays work on drilling the first block, this now shows both the intake push rod tube on top, and the exhaust push rod tube at the bottom.

They both (push rod tubes), start out at the quadrant on there respective cams (ecentrics).

But as they go through the block they begin to overlap, while the intake (top) juts to the left and upwards,
and the exhaust juts out to the right and downwards, looking out from the crankshaft.

here are the picrures showing these compound angled tube directions.

FRONT VIEW.

100_1391.jpg

LEFT FRONT VIEW.

100_1392.jpg

and the TOP VIEW.

100_1390.jpg

Next is to drill the the other 3 blocks, drill and ream the pushrod tubes, drill for set screws in each block to hold the tubes, then begin working on the push rods, themselves.

when I get one set of pushrods done, I will have enough components, in the build to test run one cylinder, to see how it works..

That's all for now...

Thanks...

another update:

Hi everyone,

On my current project I am working on a 4 cyl. horizontal engine.

Over the weekend, I was able to get enough parts machined to put together one cylinder for test running.

The first picture shows I put sandpaper between the rocker arms and the push rod tubes to force both intake and exhaust valve open to lessen compression drag.

100_1515.jpg

This one cylinder still working against 3 cylinders, that still have some air compression friction, due to the fact that the exhaust port and intake posrt sre snall orifices leading into there cylinders.

So here is a test run of 1 cylinder.

Thankyou...

Latest posts

Back