The Recycle Box

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rake60

Reaction score
I needed a piece of aluminum stock for a part in a current project.
Before ordering new stock a visit to the recycle box is always in order.
I've been a career machinist for almost 30 years so mistakes should be
few and far between... Or Not!

recyclebox.jpg

Odd how many things in my aluminum box appear to be partially machined
model engine parts.
Where did they come from?
::)

Rick

Who knows what lurks in the dark......(of the aluminum storage box) only The Shadow knows...

Best Wishes
Chuck M

Rick,
If we combine your box, my box and maybe one or two others and apply a little creative design we could probably build a couple of engines.
Gail in NM,USA

rick ....... thats not a recycle box ........... thats a gold mine, when i make a mistake the part is totally useless, you have lots of good stuff in that box.
but then as you said you have almost 30 years of experience were as i only have 25 years so i guess i have some more learning to do :big:

chuck

I recognize some of those bits!, your box reminds me of my wood shop, I always had a big stack of offcuts in one corner that would "come in handy one day" they would always be 1/2" too short, too thin etc., I think every piece got measured so many times that I eventually knew their sizes off by heart!, needless to say that ,being wood, they all got thrown on the fire in the end but I can't bear to throw useful looking stuff away!

Giles

The brass recycle box looks about the same.

BrassRecycleBox.jpg

Now there are some parts that didn't go well but never made it to the recycle
boxes. They are somewhere in the dark corners of the basement. Just look for
nicks in the concrete walls. Somewhere in that area you will be likely to find
a scrapped part.

Rick

hey you can send me those scaps i could use some. :big:
im just starting a scrap bin and its very small (so far) but growing :big:

Hello,

But the fun is in trying to make stuff and ending up with parts and pieces. The parts may or may not fit, the pieces go in the box. You rework the parts, if they still don't fit, or will never fit, they go in the box too...

Then you can look at the box and remember how far you have come, since you started messing with metal, getting a lathe and a milling machine, and all of the tools that you just had to have....... That's the best part, knowing you can, or knowing its possible but you have not learned enough yet..

Best Wishes,

Chuck M

Latest posts

Back