The Contraption

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeChatNoir, that is great stuff! I really enjoy exposing the younger folks to the machining world. I would bet 99.9% of people never think about the work that goes into the mold making that makes the bottle that their water comes in. This is one of billions of examples. They think it just majically appears on the shelf.

People like ourselves can see something like your "Contraption", and really appreciate it for the hard work and creativity that goes into it. Others (non-machinists, mechanics, etc.) look at it and think it needs to be scrapped. It is an insult to those who work so hard to create something because they just don't appreciate the dedication a craftsman puts into his/her work whether they are a machinist, painter, woodworker, welder, or any of the others that I don't have the time or room to list.

Great work, again! Keep us up to date on your adventure with the steam project. And best of luck!!

Hello again and thanks to all who chimed in before. You really helped me a bunch and I appreciate it.

I’ve been in full-bore research mode and haven’t checked in on the new forum location until now. So I figured it was time that I come in a give a quick post on the progress of the steam upgrade project.

So far I’ve learned lots, lots about steam, with a lot still to learn. When I was here last, I think I was still leaning towards machining an entire engine from scratch… even got some terrific plans from Ray Hasbrouck (for a more than fair price, I might add). However, after much thought and conversation about it, I’ve decided to instead go with converting an old air compressor into a steam engine.

There are a couple of reasons for this, but the primary one is that so far this vehicle has reused numerous old parts and often for purposes other than their original intention. So when this pump was gifted to me, it soon became clear that it would be most fitting to approach. I will eventually build a complete engine from the ground up, but for now that is on hold. And it should be noted that the Hasbrouck engine plans have been great reference material for this project which helped me learn a bunch.

The change-over will involve machining new heads, rotary valves and eccentrics, but will leave the core of the compressor pump basically untouched and in its cruddy old “stored in the back room of a shop for 30 years” glory.

So hello again, and I’ll check back in soon with photos.

LaChat
You just missed an excellent Ebay buy. There was a complete automotive twin cylinder engine that sold about a week or so ago and I don't think it fetched all the much in the way of bids. That thing was in nice shape and would have been pretty near perfect for the Contraption.

I'd bet many of the new guys who missed seeing it, so I'm glad to see the thread float cak into view. Did you manage to make Burning Man with it? I'd wager that it was quite a hit, if you did.

Steve

It did indeed make it to Burning Man in 2007. We covered… I’m estimating, here… about 5 miles with it by the end of the event… all under human power. We’d grab people out of the crowd and get them to help pump it. Then they’d get tired, and a few more would jump on. Tried to keep them cycling through…

I struggled with the possibility of it not being human powered anymore, and everyone who had come across it really wanted me to NOT take that part off of it. But I eventually devised a way to keep the ability for power from human or steam. I was pretty happy about that as well, since I was really mourning the potential loss of that pump.

Man... I'd to at least love seeing that old car engine. I guess I should check ebay (and the ebay section here) more often.

Well... for now I gotta get to the shop!!!

That is one great creation! I thought I would chime in with a few other power options.

Gas Power: One of our local museuems has arguably the first motor vehichle that traveled on the roads of the USA. This is only documented by the police citation for excessive noise. This vehichle is powered by a hit and miss type gasoline engine. But unlike the norm the frame of the engine is integral to the buggy and is made of wood.

Clockwork Powered: How about a "wind up" engine. There were clocks and wind up toys available in that "era". If you get the chance, take a look at some of the clockwork powered toys from the early 1900's. I have some made in Germany that have governor systems to control the output speed.

Frank

Wow… a wood framed engine that’s integral to the vehicle frame? That’s my kind of wonk!!

I toyed with different ideas for power sources initially, but decided upon a railcar-type pump with a flywheel battery. I thought of using a hit-n-miss engine as well, but opted for steam because… well... I guess because gas was easier?

A big part of it was that an old compressor pump (in pristine shape) landed in my lap and an one-lunger internal combustion engine did not. I’m a leave to fate kind of guy often.

Back