Tapping fixture from re-cycled wood morticer

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Mickey

Reaction score
About 12 months ago now I bought a pallet of returned tools from Axminster tools (UK). The idea was to get what I wanted (powered hacksaw and a few other bits) and sell the other items to get my tools free. The purchase was non returnable so it was a risk. However when the pallet arrived it turned out to be two! I lost count of the circular saws, routers etc. Anyway to cut a long story short, the damage to most equipment was minor and easily sorted out. They were then put back on eBay and away they went. Financially it worked well and I covered the initial costs. I only have a slide circular saw left. Amongst the many tools that I got there were only two items that were not repairable (at a sensible cost). One was a Jet tool sharpener (I haven't given up on this one though) and a wood powered mortice.

The electric motor is fine and I use that for 'other' things. However i have decided to turn the base and cast iron head as a tapping fixture. Today I started to size the job up and hope to improve on using the mill for my tapping now. The real prompt to start the project now is I want to tap my Fowler Traction engine boiler for attaching the hornplates to. As its a big boiler using the prospective tapping stand makes sense and should lead to a better job. It should also see a lot of use in other projects. We are always tapping aren't we.

Well I have bought a small chuck with a J2 taper and will cut an internal taper to match (or attempt to). I will include bearings but I am thinking of a tight fit in nylon bushes to let the tap push down. Any thoughts appreciated.

This is the cast iron head. I will put a bearing in the bottom and a new top including another bearing....

tappingfixture201108004.jpg

The keyless chuck and J2 taper.............

tappingfixture201108009.jpg

Todays progress - in pictures.....

The main parts....

tappingcentre22112008001.jpg

Plate for top bearing and cover.....

tappingcentre22112008009.jpg

Making the nylon bushes.........

tappingcentre22112008015.jpg

Taking the polish off the main stainless steel bar................

tappingcentre22112008027.jpg

Trial fitting of the top cover/bearing/nylon bush and bar............

tappingcentre22112008030.jpg

Difference between the two chucks............

tappingcentre22112008020.jpg

Well almost finished so this will be the last updated post. There are only a couple of small (but important!) additions. One, a small cover for the top bearing and the base needs trueing up by about 2 thou between the cast iron base and the aluminum workholding type base I will add.

Anyway here are a few more photo's........

tappingfixture001.jpg

tappingfixture002.jpg

An unusual angle but you can get the idea............

finaltappingfixture24112008014.jpg

Mike

That is a pretty cool retrofit to an otherwise scrap piece. Good Job!

Eric

Great result Mike. With the new bearings and shaft, not to mention the cast iron head, it should last for several lifetimes!!
Bill

Thanks chaps. It was a nice exercise away from highly critical tolerance work! A bit of bish bash does you good sometimes!

Well today the last two tidy up jobs were done, the bearing cap and the base. I decided that some 'T' slots would be usefull and the base was shimmed to match the shaft. So no more excuses and the boiler will be tapped some time this week! Oh happy days..... :big:

tappingfixturelastones004.jpg

Metal Mickey said:
Thanks chaps. It was a nice exercise away from highly critical tolerance work! A bit of bish bash does you good sometimes!

Mike,

It looks anything but bish bash. :bow:

Congratulations on a very useful tool.

Best Regards
Bob

Very useful and stable!!!!!
Cheers
Paolo

Latest posts

Back