Tact?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allen

Reaction score
How does one tell someone that their idea is crap and/or unsafe without sounding like a total jerk?

I tried quiet reason, and constructive suggestions... they didn't seem to work.

This guy wants to make a 'steam motorcycle' out of a bicycle frame, a homebrewed inline 1x 1-1/2 single acting inline six cylinder engine and fire it on propane...` He hasn't even built the engine, but it's his design so he HAS to use it, and just asked others to help him design a boiler to supply enough steam for it at 80psi and 500rpm.... but hasn't answered any questions about how he intends to handle carrying the fuel or water or prevent accident if he upsets or flames out.......

Yes, he's ASKING about how to properly size and construct a flash monotube steam generator (or even easier, a horizontal watertube in a sidecar) -- but since he doesn't even have a boiler (or 'boilers' plural, his words) design in mind, that's the least of MY concerns at the moment. How does one get him to seriously address the red flags- before he hurts somebody- without just making him mad

Sometimes and with some people tact just doesn't work. With all due respect for your friend, i would simply back away totally with words to the effect that without a proper design you simply can't give any advice...which is true. From what you describe, making the engine alone may be well beyond his capabilities so the project may just burn itself out (no pun intended) before he has a chance to injure himself or others.

Bill

Well, I've found that sometimes the easiest way to deal with someone set on doing a dangerous project is talk them through it as if the project has merit. Point out the details and problems that you see, ask him how they will be solved, not that you see issues that will derail the project.

He'll think you're really trying to help him, but you are really leading him to realize the project is too big/dangerous/difficult and he should drop it. Or if they are really stupid, they will go on with their crazy scheme without you.

You can lead a horse to water.

But................

You can't make it drink.

Best Regards
Bob

Maryak said:
You can lead a horse to water.

But................

You can't make it drink.

Best Regards
Bob
I always hated that expression......( i can too make him drink the water and have done so...) hahaha

Sometimes one has to be the East end of a horse heading West to get the point across.

Kenny

Just tell him how much it will all cost, including buying machines and tooling, plus the amount of years the project will take.

Next time you see him, he will most probably have bought himself a Harley.

Bogs

My 6th grade teacher used to say "you can lead a horse to water but cant make him drink.
and you can lead a kid to knowledge but not make him think."
TIN

'IF', this person were truly a friend, they would actually listen to what it is that you have to say and respect your opinions and ideas instead of asking and then trying to debunk them after the fact or make excuses why their plans are better. I've had a few folks do that to me, after having spent a great deal of time in answering questions and explaining the correct steps to making a part, and looking up and providing documentation for them to study, only to be asked the same stupid a$$ questions again the next time we spoke. I have come to the point in my life that I will only explain something to someone once and if they choose not to pay attention or 'hear' what I have to say then I tell them not to ask me, I'm not interested in your hair brained ideas any more than you want to hear me tell you no. Nuff said. There is no tact in the world that can overcome ignorance. I'm going to go have my cup of tea now and retire for the night.

BC1
Jim

ksouers said:
Well, I've found that sometimes the easiest way to deal with someone set on doing a dangerous project is talk them through it as if the project has merit. Point out the details and problems that you see, ask him how they will be solved, not that you see issues that will derail the project.

He'll think you're really trying to help him, but you are really leading him to realize the project is too big/dangerous/difficult and he should drop it. Or if they are really stupid, they will go on with their crazy scheme without you.

This seems to be the best method for dealing with my mother-in- law. Except that I still get blamed when she goes against my advice and things don't go as she expects.

You say: "Please don't think I'm a total jerk but your idea is crap and/or unsafe".

actually, I restated my specific concerns and then said;

"Do you even have a clue what you are doing, or are you trying to fly this by the seat of your pants? (and hoping they don't get burnt off?)

I'm not trying to sound mean, and I'll try to help if you're willing to listen.... but I'll not help you hurt yourself or somebody else by doing something half baked and half a$$ed. ".........

He hasn't responded (It's a guy on another board - most of my friends either have more sense, forgot more than I know, or aren't into building stuff) I'm guessing he's probably mad, but oh well,

Hopefully I won't need the next step...
LEC-clue-by-four.png

Just ignore him, without any input the project isn't going anywhere.

I don't mind helping people and often go out of my way to do so, however some people want everything doing for them and you know the project is never going to get finished.

The trick is trying to work out who's who.

John S.

Not to throw a wrench in what everybody is saying, but the idea of a steam motorcycle is by no means an original Idea, and has been done with success. I have seen references to them back to the 1890's, Thats before Harley Davidson made their first motorcycle, even Jay Leno has one.

Having said that, I still think the Idea of an amateur building a large boiler and then sitting on it is definitely a bad Idea. But It CAN be done. If this person really wants a steam motorcycle, at least do some research on the subject. Maybe commission a professional "Boiler Maker" to build a safe boiler.

You have to admit a steam powered motorcycle is pretty cool, imagine the torque a 6 cylinder would have, can anyone say "Steam Wheelies" Although, any type of show dogging should not be had with a pressure vessel or Bomb between your legs.

Thats just my Two Bits (inflation)

Kel

If ANYONE sees ANYTHING that is obviously unsafe being posted here,
they need to bring it to my attention immediately!

It's my name on the shingle.

All of the legal mumbo jumbo is in place to deflect any potential litigation for damages
resulting from misinformation posted here away from HMEM or me personally.

Any attempt of that would happen only ONCE.

HMEM is an extension of my own personal hobby.
The day it turns into a personal injury case because of a dangerous post slipping by
will be the last day of HMEM.

If you see anything posted here that could lead to that please notify me personally.

Rick

Latest posts

Back