Surface treatment for Aluminium

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scribealine

Reaction score
Hello Everybody,

would anyone know of a suitable surface treatment for 6061 alloy aluminium
I can easild do at home, such as the TURCO treatment, it must be a treatment and not a paint or other coverage which increases the size of the component.
There are threads involved, so cant paint.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe anodizing doesn't grow the material (or not much at least) and from what I have read it is quit doable at home.

Thank you Herbie,
I watched the video from the suppliers, the anodizing oxide actually grows out of the Aluminium, so the threads 1mm pitch x 80od
would not work on the matching component.

If you make an aluminium part with a thread in it and screw your part to be anodised then the thread will be protected

Michael

But make sure you use an aluminium bolt. If you use a steel bolt the anodising bath will be ruined

I have parts manufactured and anodized. They have threaded holes (6 mm X 1.0) and there is no problem with the fit. The anodizing process removes a minute amount of metal and then adds it back but the net result doesn't affect threads and I'd be willing to bet can't be measured with our instruments.

Another process you could explore is CERAKOTE, it is a ceramic coating measured in Mils commonly used on guns. Not cheap but is available in DIY kits. Some requires curing at 350 degrees F.
It does not affect the tight fit necessary on moving parts or screws.

Hi

I anodise all my aluminum parts. It looks good and toughens the surface. I have never found that it affects the fit of threads. Note anodising does not reach inside of small holes. It also insulates the part electrically, so you may need to bare some metal to connect grounding wire or spark plug seats in aluminum heads.

On another note; you can use titanium wire to hang your parts in the acid bath.

Mark T

Thank you everybody, what a great response.
Everyone has provided some valuable information, and lots to try and think about.
Cheers
Noel, North NSW Australia

Latest posts

Back