Surface Grinder And Shaper Confession Part 1

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lockstocknbarrel

Reaction score
I like Jack have a confession, I to have been on a buying spree................
These items were purchased so I had something to play with over the summer holidays.
The photos are just after it landed in my garage.
Part 1 is the surface grinder the maker is unknown to me so please if you can help i would appreciate any input.
Cost $1000.00usd you don't get a lot of single phase Surface Grinders in New Zealand unless you buy brand new, hence the story so far.
It is 3 phase and I intend to convert to 240Volt the motor has been purchased already, it has a German magnetic chuck 14X6" Walker-Hagou NV this chuck seems to hold plate better than some I have used in the past in fact it's hold strength amazes me.
I was not intending to do a rebuild story but as it is now out in the public domain, I will post pictures as I go, hope it does not put you all to sleep.
The grinding head is already dismantled, and new bearings fitted, and I cut slots in the main shaft for the allen bolts to lock into instead of just biting into the outer shaft.
Anyhoo as the other guys say, this is the first part of my confession.
Kindest Regards
Beagles

Daves-Surface-Grinder-#2.jpg

Daves-Surface-Grinder-#3.jpg

Daves-Surface-Grinder-#4.jpg

Daves-Surface-Grinder-#5.jpg

I made a mess of how I posted both stories about new additions to the workshop, so I have added them to make things tidy.
:-[ :-[ :-[
Part 2 is the Shaper the maker is unknown to me so please if you can help i would appreciate any input.
It was purchased from the South Island in Dunedin where there was a large Railways Foundry way back in "The old Days" it has 1958 GR stamped on the cross slide, and a old Hoover Motor to power the machine I believe this may have been made in the workshops as a homer type job.
Cost $450.00usd including freight, I sold my other Shaper to another locksmith friend of mine who was jealous when I purchased that one, I will post photos later.
I believe that this machine took a tumble while being freighted and the brass housing for the cross feed gear is bent and so is the main cross feed shaft and the down feed chrome handle is smashed so things are not as great as I'm posting but it will keep my off the streets and out of bars......................
Anyhoo as the other guys say, this is the second part of my confession.
Kindest Regards
Beagles

Dave\'s-Shaper-#3.jpg

Dave\'s-Shaper-#6.jpg

Dave\'s-Shaper-#5.jpg

Dave\'s-Shaper-#4.jpg

Here are photos of my original shaper in the shed when I purchased it, this is the one that i have sold to my locksmith mate.
Now you can see the reason for upgrading.
P.S.
Are shapers just for "Old Machinists", if that is the case, I have just aged....................
Kindest regards
Beagles

Drummond #1.jpg

Drummond #2.jpg

Drummond #3.jpg

Nice score Dave! Don't worry none about the posts....

Cool Tools!

Dave

Nice machines!
Shapers are for kids of all ages.
Mesmerizing to watch, they are

Latest posts

Back