super charger lobe design

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browny289

Reaction score
G'day all trying to find some dimensions for supercharger lobe design two three or four lobe been thinking about making one... one day

I dont know what tools do you dispose but it think because of the tight tolerances and design you it is difficult to machine then on conventional milling machiens; I think a CNC is required..... Are you going to machine then with some technique?

Andrei

You can do a straight 2 or 3 lobe with a milling machine and a rotary indexer. I plan to do the same thing some day if I ever get some time.

You need to design around the bore of the housing but here is some numbers that might help.

This rotor was designed for 1.016 bores, .657 center to center and .004 or .005 clearance (cant remember).

untitled.JPG

Browny,
There's more than a few different types around. The newer and more efficient designs probably are hard to dig up very much concrete engineering design information on like the screw compressor types. It might take you a lot of digging with Google, But I'd guess there should be quite a bit of information about the "GMC 671 Superchargers". These are a twisted lobe type design. It doesn't take CNC, These were built long before CNC was even close to a reality. It would take a few calculations to figure out the twist ratio and a universal dividing head geared to the X axis feedscrew on a mill though. That and a couple of good I.D./O.D. radius endmills along with some fine handwork should get you what your looking for.

Pete

Back