Stuart No.9 (Looking for build blog)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rourkek4

Reaction score
Hi All!

First post!

My father is a restorer of stationary oil & steam engines, and when health doesn't allow that, a builder of models. He has given me a gift of a very well built stuart 9 that does need disassembly, clean up, repaint, reassembly and a new mount/base. I grew up in his machine shop and i am an mechanical engineer by profession, so i am quite able, and the intention is to start building myself, however purse strings have not allowed the purchase of a lathe & milling machine for my own place yet.

Anyways, to the point! I have been trawling through here looking for pics/build blogs of other people's 9's for a little inspiration :) but cannot seem to find anything at all. Surely someone in here has done one?

Can anyone be of help?
Much apprecated,
Kevin

My father is a restorer of stationary oil & steam engines, and when health doesn't allow that, a builder of models. He has given me a gift of a very well built stuart 9 that does need disassembly, clean up, repaint, reassembly and a new mount/base. I grew up in his machine shop and i am an mechanical engineer by profession, so i am quite able, and the intention is to start building myself, however purse strings have not allowed the purchase of a lathe & milling machine for my own place yet.

Start small and prove the usefulness of local machine tools and those purse strings will loosen. I always use the "without a shop I'd just spend my spare time at the bar with loose women" line, seems to work.

Anyways, to the point! I have been trawling through here looking for pics/build blogs of other people's 9's for a little inspiration :) but cannot seem to find anything at all. Surely someone in here has done one?

Maybe you can rummage up a copy of the Stuart Turner "Building the Model 9 Engine"?

Thanks RKepler. Here's hoping! The lathe fund & my time is currently being spent on some stone garden walling.... I'm assured once i have the garden done i will be free to tinker in the shed again.

Looking at bases/plinths, I love what Ramon did on his table engine, using MDF to make a faux blocked plinth.

A bit of over ambition never hurt anyone! :)

Found it:

http://secure.enginemodels.com/cgi-bin/store/perlshop.cgi?order_id=886516&thispage=books.shtml

Wow I was lucky to find this blog "Thank You"
I need to know to know the finished length of the # 9 Stuart steam engine cylinder and steam chest.
Sorry for a question not relating to this Great Blog!
Regards
Alec Ryals

I built a #9 about a year and a half ago and could find very little on a build. Wish I had known about the Tubal Cain book. Think I will buy it now to see how I did!

Alec, the length of the cylinder and steam chest is 2-1/8" with the boss on the steam chest sticking out another 3/16".

John

I am a lucky owner of a very FULL casting set and THE book.

Having read the whole book a couple of times I can honestly say the book by Tubal Cain is a real must if you are not deeply into model engineering, where you can figure your own way around things.
It even gives a few tips on other methods to use, say not having the cast ball weights for the governor, or making the cast iron piston rings, it tells you how to get around the problems.

Well worth getting.

John

Back