Look what I found. A number 9

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott_M

Reaction score
Here is a copy of an email I just sent to Stuart.

"Greetings
I am curious if a set of plans is available for a vintage set of castings for a Number 9 are still available.
After my father passed I was cleaning out his storage shed and came across a set of castings for the #9 ,as you can see in the picture critters ate most of the parts list and some of the print. I am also unsure if there are additional drawings. The box that this was in was postmarked 1970. I am unsure as to why my father never built this.
Please advise as to what may still be available.
Thank You
Regards"

I am not sure what to do with this but thought I should inquire as to getting a set of plans or at least a parts list so I know how complete it is.
I really have no interest in building it as I would much rather build an I.C. engine. And I would prefer to build from barstock. Does any body have any idea what this is worth ? Are the older S&H sets more desirable than the currently available kits ? This kit has some bronze castings , the newer kits do not indicate any bronze.

I am really unsure what to do and would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Scott

P1030311.jpg

And another question
Should I throw the castings in the blast cabinet and clean them up ?
Sand? Glass? Will blasting cast iron cause any ill effects ?

Thanks again

Scott

I just finished a #9 about a year ago. The castings I had were bought in 1979 and they machined beautifully. I can't compare the old to the new castings because to only other Stuart castings I machined were bought in 1976.
I am not sure of the cost for a new kit in the US. Coles Power Models carries them but they don't list a price on line.
I would not sand blast the castings until I was ready to machine them. If there is any rust on the cast iron it would be surface rust and would not go deeper. If you clean them it would start all over again and would go deeper.

John

Stuart's page for the engine:

http://www.stuartmodels.com/inprod_det.cfm/section/casting/mod_id/49

shows a current UK price of £330 (+20% VAT, making £396).

As your set is an old one with a forged (or cast ?) crankshaft, it will be highly regarded those in the know, and should fetch the same price as a new set, or even a bit more.

The drawings are listed on the website in the spares section as item 95115, for £11.40.

The 'bronze' items are actually gunmetal, which is listed.

My two pence worth: It's a good kit that makes a really nice engine. Keep it.

Last edited:
Back