Stuart 504 Boiler Questions

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve_Withnell

Reaction score
Hi Guys, wonder if anyone can help.

I have managed to get my hands on a 504 boiler in decent condition. Two questions.

The boiler arrived with the original white asbestos insulation panels - anyone know the name of a UK replacement material that meets current safety requirements? Needs to be 3/16 - 1/4 inch thick. Suppliers would be good too.

The other question is that there seems to be two variants of the 504. One variant has wooden lagging fixed with three brass bands (the one I have). The other is identical but lacks the lagging. Any one know why there are two versions? I can only find one in the old (1980's) catalogues.

Regards

Steve

Steve,
This is just a guess, but some 20 or so years ago Mssrs. Stuart Turner decided to divest themselves of the Stuart Models operation and it was acquired by John Woodruff dba Cheddar Models. IIRC their version of the Stuart boilers used wood cleading. John has since passed away but so far as I know Cheddar is still trading in bespoke boilers.

fcheslop, I tried both of the suggested web sites for boiler wrap material. I did not see anything listed on their web sites. I am also in the need of some thin flexible material to wrap around my LaFrance steam boiler. It is 5-1/2" diameter by 11" tall. Any other thoughts ?

Kaowool is what you want, its a modern fibre material, comes in 1mm or 2mm sheet or 1/4" blanket. wrap it around your boiler and cover with cleading sheets.

MJ engineering and Blackgates do it, Bruce engineering have something similar in 2 &3mm thickness

Blackgates list it in with their soldering equipment on the web site but detail it in the printed catalogue.

I'm using two layers of the sheet with a layer of baking foil between on my Fowler boiler.

If its a rigid insulation board for the sides of the firebox then "Superlux" from a good builders merchants, Travis Perkins stock it in 6mm

Jason

Back