Asbestos and Stuart Boilers

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korben

Reaction score
Stuart literature for their Model 500 Babcock boilers discusses the asbestos lining on the sides of the firebox. The use of asbestos makes me nervous because of the potential health hazard. I've heard that simply removing the asbestos results in blistering of the paint on the firebox sides, not to mention the loss of heat due to the lack of insulation.

I understand that furnace cement is the modern replacement for asbestos. Furnace cement is a spreadable semi-liquid material, however, and I'm not sure how it would be applied to the inner face of the sheet steel firebox sides.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Korben

Replace the asbest boards with Kaowool high-temperature boards.

To remove asbest:
It should do it outside the house.
1. Do asbestos sheets wet with water.
2. Remove asbestos plates.
3. put them in a closed bag and give to firm for asbestos removal.

...I'd even add some dish soap to that mix to bind it together as it dries out.

I removed the asbestos, this morning, per Mechacicboy's procedure. I've looked into ceramic fiber insulation. The thinnest I've found is 1/2" and that would be tough to fit into the space within the firebox. At this point, I'm inclined to just leave the insulation out. Heat loss and potential burned fingers aside, the only problem I can forsee is blistering of the firebox paint. I can accept that. Most working model fireboxes show evidence of heat, anyway.

Any comments?

Korben

Back in the good old days before asbestos was hazardous I made and insulated a small electric furnace in a lab.
The insulation consisted of a mixture of loose asbestos and a solution of sodium silicate (water glass). It had the consistency of a thick paste. It was applied to the outside of the furnace and dried at 100 deg. C. The furnace was then fired up and the final curing done at a red heat. The result was a hard cohesive covering. The asbestos fibres were held in place by the sodium silicate.
You could do something similar by replacing the asbestos with crushed ceramic fibre board.
Regards,
Alan C.

This is all very interesting. I'm presently on the trail of something called "paper". It's about 1/8" thick and formable. It should be a very simple replacement for the asbestos. I'm amazed at the variety of insulation materials available.

Regards,
Korben

Actually, asbestos is not nearly as dangerous as the tenor of this thread seems to present. Coating with waterglass and letting it dry and cure would have been safer than removing it. Some forms of asbestos are safe, such as asbestos siding panels. Disturbing it creates more hazard than leaving it alone.

Back