stirling engine in progress

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deatharena89

Reaction score
Hello everyone after long time posting a topic about stirling engines. Here iam making the engine in a simple way.

materials used:

cardbaord for supports.
sponge as displacer.
balloon as power piston.
steel wire as crank shaft.
CD as flywheel.

here are some pictures of my engine, i think i will finish it in a day or two. I will post the video here as soon as possible.

stirling.jpg

stirling1.jpg

Interesting....are you following plans or is it your design?

It looks like a variation of the ones available online.

How much and what kind of heat source are you going to be using?
You might want to try it first and see how the sponge holds up.

Will be looking forward to your results!

Andrew

lazylathe said:
It looks like a variation of the ones available online.

How much and what kind of heat source are you going to be using?
You might want to try it first and see how the sponge holds up.

Will be looking forward to your results!

Andrew
it May look like but plans are different, i tested after adding the balloon displacer moves the balloon well. Iam using candle as heat source.

Nice!
Good luck!!

Hopefully we will get a video of it running!!

Andrew

If the sponge is to heavy, you might also consider a piece of foam like that used for house sheathing which many LTD sterlings employ. Still can't take excessive heat but much lighter. How will you use the balloon?

Regards,
Bill

b.lindsey said:
If the sponge is to heavy, you might also consider a piece of foam like that used for house sheathing which many LTD sterlings employ. Still can't take excessive heat but much lighter. How will you use the balloon?

Regards,
Bill
Balloon is used as power piston and i think sponge can withstand low temperatures.

it goes two turns and tries to continue but stops. I think its eve to the friction at the displacer rod. Iam changing the plan WILL Update here soon.

hello everyone after a long time i made a new design but it got some leaks repaired it(pasted m-seal) at the point of leak. But the seal produces small amount of friction so i moved the displacer manually and to my surprise, the engine worked. Here is the link, soon i will post the video of the engine working by itself. This trial gave me some encouragement.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoluHLOa280[/ame]

Back