Sterling engine for woodstove?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcostello

Reaction score
I am looking for a Sterling engine to make for a woodstove. Quiet one would be nice, does not need to move much volume, self starting desired. Any plans available? Am I asking too much in self starting?

You are actually looking for a "Stirling " engine. Stirling has no provissions for self starting......you will have to get up on a cold day and spin the flywheel after you stoke the stove.

Will this work for you? I built one for my wood stove the engine runs rather slow about 150 RPMs compaired to the video so it runs quiet and the 12" fan blade circulated the heat to my work shop and keeps it toasty warm. Bore a hole in one of the stove lids and put the hot end of the engine inside the stove.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBpRl5eF3fc&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/ame]

allcool3.jpg

Hope you post a build of your wood stove stirling fan. I hope to build a couple for my brother and cousin as a thank you for a recent hunting trip.
I be wathing for it.

Chuck in E. TN

FWIW, a lot of the commercial models are Peltier-effect devices and electric motors (boo!), but I don't know if that's an ease/cost-of-manufacturing thing or reflects some other reality in stovetop fans.

Latest posts

Back