Started making something useful on the ML4

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCSteam

Reaction score
Hello all,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, if not mods feel free to move it where it should be.

Not been on the forum lately, but finally managed to get around to making something useful on the lathe, rather than just swarf.

First up a steering rod for the Mamod mobile engines. (The original one been shown for reference) I bought some nice light oak knobs from eBay, as I don't really want to try my hand at turning these yet, and bought some other materials too. 303 Stainless steel, and some brass.

I threaded both ends of the stainless and screwed the knobs on, and now I've set the lathe up to cut the little brass adaptors too, these are threaded internally both ends (two different thread sizes) and a taper cut into the top portion.

This is all good practice for me to learn on. Plus im been paid for them too 😁 it's helped fund some of the other tooling that I've bought.

A MT1 live center, knurling tool, micrometer, dial gauge and magnetic stand, and some taps and dies, plus the holders that I needed to make these. There all budget items but the plan is to keep buying what I need for a specific job than go all out, hopefully soon I'll have everything I need to make a start on a bar stock steam engine.

(Ps sorry about the orientation of the photos, don't know why they have done that and I can't rectify it either)

20171124_205553.jpg

20171125_182450.jpg

20171125_182458.jpg

Cheers Frazer, all good fun. Plus as you say learning basics as I go.

Well I finished all the parts off tonight. All I can say is im glad I didn't have to do hundreds of these as I think I'd get board 😉

Onto the next batch of bits.

20171127_231923.jpg

20171127_231848.jpg

20171127_231837.jpg

Looking good CJ :thumbup:
A lot of learning by repetition gets boarding about the time you have it down pat. Of course that’s when you risk getting complacent and start breaking taps. :wall:
It’s great when you can pick up those small jobs that helps cover the cost.
As far as the orientation of the photos goes the only way I have been able to make sure things come out the right way up is to look at them on my old XP desk top. All the new aps/operating systems auto rotate the image

Latest posts

Back