Spring washers - source?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Butcher

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I'm trying to design an adjustable disc to carry a hall sensor fixed to it. I have an idea in mind that hinges on getting spring washers for a #4 screw to make it adjustable, the washers are specifically called 'crescent single wave'.

I tried all of the usual places with no luck. I've been searching since yesterday. :wall:

Have you got any idea where I could buy these?

-MB

Hiya MB, I'm not familiar with 'crescent single wave' washers but perhaps McMaster Carr would have something you could use for your application.

www.mcmaster.com/#disc-springs/=ax1yyz

Just a thought. What do these said washers look like anyway?

BC1
Jim

bearcar1 said:
Hiya MB, I'm not familiar with 'crescent single wave' washers but perhaps McMaster Carr would have something you could use for your application.

www.mcmaster.com/#disc-springs/=ax1yyz

Just a thought. What do these said washers look like anyway?

BC1
Jim

Jim, they are a very thin flat spring washer that's curved (bowed?).

McM calls them 'curved disc spring' washers. They don't seem to have a #4.

Are they like thin flat washers that look like they went through a roller? When looked at from the side are shaped like a ) ? If so, I've seen them in the cardboard pull out bins in the haredware store or at Home Depot/Lowes, but not sure they go as small as a #4.

Chuck in E. TN

chucketn said:
Are they like thin flat washers that look like they went through a roller? When looked at from the side are shaped like a ) ? If so, I've seen them in the cardboard pull out bins in the haredware store or at Home Depot/Lowes, but not sure they go as small as a #4.

Chuck in E. TN

Thanks! I hope its that easy! I'll give then a call.

-MB

Metal Butcher said:
Jim, they are a very thin flat spring washer that's curved (bowed?).

McM calls them 'curved disc spring' washers. They don't seem to have a #4.

Yes I see that now MB, too bad. I thought maybe some other style of that type of washer might be applicable. I'll keep searching just for grins. I wonder if Grainger would carry them. I'll check.

BC1
Jim

Found these at the local Ace Hardware store.

Rudy

SpringWasher.jpg

rudydubya said:
Found these at the local Ace Hardware store.

Rudy

That's what they look like. I called Ace and they only stock #8 and up. Oh well.

Neat trick with the split image!

stevehuckss396 said:
Do a search for "wave washer". They have them down to a #2. See if they would work for you.

Hi Steve. I looked at the wavy style early in the game. They might work, but I'm wondering if there to stiff?

I need to take a break from this futile hunt. *club*

-MB

I went through this a while back looking for a #10-sized one. There are, in order of stiffness; Bellville washers, wave washers and curved spring washers.

I found the ones I wanted at McMaster, but it was tough enough even finding that size. Would something like a tiny O-ring work?

HI this may seem daft but wot is #4 I'm in the UK and i only work in mm i have sum of them washers OD diameter is 11 mm with 5.5mm hole in the middle ar they any good

Foozer said:
Couldn't you just fab one out of a piece of packing strap? Its springy stuff, little finger bend and poof! one each pre-load washer.

Robert

Its crossed my mind, and I may have to go that route. I found some that come close to what I have in mind, but the price is absolutely ridiculous.

Poof? It doesn't quite work that way in my one man rookie shop. It takes me a while just to remember where the shop is.

-MB

HI MB is the ons i have no good i have 6 of them you can have them

krv3000 said:
HI this may seem daft but wot is #4 I'm in the UK and i only work in mm i have sum of them washers OD diameter is 11 mm with 5.5mm hole in the middle ar they any good

I looked into using metric ones. They seem to be a little easier to find, but they are not the right size.

Thanks for offering to help!

-MB

Back