South Bend spares?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazylathe

Reaction score
Hi All,

Well the South Bend 9 Model A has landed in my basement! ;D
Another lathe that will require a spot on the new bench and another concrete slab to be poured! ;D

Back to my question!
Where do all of the south Bend owners get their spare parts from?
I am also looking for some accessories, like the fixed and traveling steady rests and a 4 jaw chuck.

I have placed a 'Wanted" add in our local classifieds although not too much really comes from there...
Been browsing fleabay and they have quite a bit but would really like to buy from a guy that knows what he is doing.
Not just some numbskull that buys a good lathe and parts it out...

I have also seen "Plaza Machinery" and contacted Joe about something a years or so ago.
Still waiting for a reply from him, so i am not too sure about that place either.

Seems as soon as they know you are across a border their tune changes for some reason....

Any help or tips would be great!!

Thanks,

Andrew

Joe (of Plaza Machinery) doesn't always "do" email very well, so if you contacted him that way you might have better luck if you called him.
Or possibly his reply got blocked by a spam filter along the way.

Thanks Mainer!

I check my spam everyday before deleting it, but it may have got lost along the way.

I will go through his lists of items and get my ducks in a row before giving him a call.

Thanks,

Andrew

Thanks for the offer Mosey!
Not sure if the 10K will fit on the 9" model??
May be too big!

Andrew

Hey andrew I have an three jaw left over from when I traded away my southbend, and I have no use for it I know you said you were looking for a 4-jaw or a steadyrest, but if you are willing to do a little clean up I would happily send you the 3 jaw for just postage. Not sure of the brand but I could check it for you when I go home next, I liked to having two 3jaws so one can have the jaws reversed ready for larger stock.

That sounds like a SWEET deal!!!! ;D :eek: :big:

I will Pm you my info and let me know the postage whenever you get a chance!!!

Thank you so much!!!
I will do my best to put it to good use!

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

If you watch fleabay, and your patient and informed....you can get decent deals on used parts.

Get the light duty 4 jaw to fit the SB or the Atlas....a 6" is good and not too heavy

Most 4 jaws get very little use...they are almost always good. The slighly rusty 10" that came with my Logan from a trade school (30 years old) still had cosmoline on the threads.....I don't think it was ever used.n It cleaned up beautiful!

Additionally, here's another good place to visit

http://www.tools4cheap.net/

He carries new steady rests and follower rests at a reasonable price. I bought one of these for my Logan as steadies for a Logan are about unobtanium.....it fit fine with some assembly and few swipes of a file. I've used it and it works great!

As you may be aware, I am rebuilding a "9" ....If I come into some surplus...I'll let you know.
I bought my SB steady on ebay for about $75 because it still had 4 coats of flaking paint on it.....no worries there it came right off!

Dave

As previously mentioned, Joe at Plaza Machinery has “challenges” with e-mail at times. It would seem the e-mail gets eaten on occasion getting to him. Send him a fax with what you are looking for and include your ph # and an e-mail to which he can reply, and in my experience he will respond very promptly. Once e-mail has been established between you and Joe, it seems to be a bit more reliable after that. Other than a fax #, it is a bit awkard to reach him when he doesn’t give out a ph #.

Once I finally got through to him, he had some good prices on some Hardinge bits and pieces I was looking for, some of which are tough to obtain parts. His prices were a bit better than average eBay prices.

I assume you have also been keeping an eye on eBay too, where there is lots of SB stuff, though items like steady rests might not come up very often.

Robin

Managed to get in contact with Joe via e mail! ;D
All is good and he is very helpful!

Also received an email from a guy locally that has a lot of spares lying around!
Saves a lot on shipping and import duties!

Now i just have to start on the bench and concrete slabs....

Thanks for all the tips and help!!

Andrew

Andrew,
Go over to the Practical Machinist site, Join up and check out the South Bend forum. A huge volume of information, People with spare parts, Advise etc. That would be about the only area you really need other than maybe Ebay or Joe for almost anything for South Bend equipment. Your lucky, I spent over a year looking for belt guards for my Atlas Horizontal, Yesterday the search ended as I now have them. South Bend lathe parts and extras are far more comman. And for almost anything, Cheaper.

Pete

Thanks Pete!
I am on Practical machinist already!
Lots of info there!!

I taught Joe at Plaza a new word the other day!!
I asked him about spares for the lathe and he had no idea what i was talking about.

I explained that where i come from spares are the same as parts!
He was quite happy!! ;D

Andrew

LOL, Now You need to teach him about answering my emails for Atlas mill parts. Or at least to go find them for me. I have no doubt someone, somewhere has exactly what I want and need and would be willing to sell it at a fair or slightly more than fair price. The problem is finding those people. My belt guards were a part not easy to replicate in the average shop without casting abilities, But the rest of the needed parts I could build. I'd rather have original. You should be able to find almost any needed part for your lathe in a short time period.

Did get my email about moving equipment into your basement a few weeks ago?

Pete

Hi Pete,

Yes i did get your e mail!!!
It totally slipped my mind!

It was mind boggling in all aspects!!!
I think i have read it at least a dozen times and have little sketches all over my note pad
trying to figure things out! ;D

My biggest hurdle would be getting SWMBO to allow me to haul a big bad machine over her precious hard wood floors
that took me ages to install!!!
They need to be refinished and i am dodging that bullet for as long as i can!
Hauling in a big machine would be just cause for floor refinishing.... ;D

I might take you up on the offer of some pictures if i cannot fathom parts of it out! ???

Andrew

Hardwood foors? Piece of cake, Cheap NEW 3/4" plywood will protect that. Later you use the plywood in the shop. I moved my mill across brand new and very expensive Kitchen and bathroom tile floors to get to my shop with no damage. Yeah I
know "Bathroom"? Trust me, It did go thru the bathroom. The wife even helped. I own a mobile home. It isn't ideal, But it works for now. I am dreading the day we move though. You guys with concrete floors have no idea how good you've got it.

Pete

Latest posts

Back