Source For Cast Iron

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzie46

Reaction score

If you are near farmers or farm equipment dealers try to pick up some small tractor wheel weights or tractor front end weights. They are made of cast iron.

I pick up a small one about 18 in to 2 foot dia, weighed about 85 to 100 lbs.

Cut it up on my 4 x 6 band saw Very Carefully. ::) Cuts like butter,
even better tham some window sash weights I have. Enough material for several years projects. Paid $20.00 U.S. for mine.

I cut off a 3 in arc of it, as they are round, and got 4 cyl block blanks out of it for Bogs
Paddleducks engine.

Ron

I think this is the second time I've read this recommendation for a source of CI. Hmmmmmm.
Off to the tractor shop I go.......

Thanks,
Pete

If you are near farmers or farm equipment dealers try to pick up some small tractor wheel weights or tractor front end weights. They are made of cast iron.

News Flash !!!
Tractors found reared up on there back wheels and PTO throughout the West Australian wheat belt.
A sharp increase in model engine engineering is suspected as the cause. ;D
Cast iron prices sky rocket to $300US an ounce. :eek:

Thanks Ron, Great tip

Phil

You want to try to find the ones they no longer use as the new ones are pricey.

Ask for the ones they are going to sell for scrap.

Ron

That's a nice tip - over where I live, finding any good machinable material is pretty much impossible. We do have "some" agricultural farming though, so I think I have to buddy-up some farm implements-salespersons ;)

Regards

Arnold

Hi all
I remembered reading this thread a wile back and have had my eye out.Talk about being in the right place at the right time I was talking with a co worker complaning about are local scrap co. not selling scrap bit's any more. Another employee overheard and asked what I look for. Well long story short he had just dumped 7 front tractor weights from a Alis chambers tractor that he no longer Owen's into the scrap pile. Well as you can imagine I was out the door and loading them up I think I have more cast than I will ever use.
Dave

woohoo1

I'll remember this tip!
cast iron for me is the most difficult metal to get; I buy almost all the material I need on ebay, expecially the German web site.
it is not very pricey, but with the shipping costs the final amount IS pricey! :(

Latest posts

Back