Something you may not have known

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm guessing you discovered that accidentally? ::) I've also figured out that a drill bit in the tail stock will eventually enlarge a hole in a workpiece spinning backwards... eventually. However it does get pretty hot.

Chuck

Those two processes might eventually work, but a Duclos Victorian IC engine will not start backwards even after you've spun it over with a drill motor for three hours. It will, however flood it to the maximum....LOL. Note to self.......Check to see which direction your cordless drill is turning before you try to start the $*&@$% engine.

Steve

I've tried to turn some diameter back on to a piece but it was still too small ;D

I ruined a perfectly good (* brand new *) end mill in 2 seconds flat spinning it in reverse!

It is very hard to start a left handed 1" tap if you turn it in a clockwise direction. I asked a machinist if we could borrow a tap for some 1" bolts and he handed me a tap, after several tries and checking the tap drill size I looked at the tap. The machinist had a big smile on his face when I took back the tap and asked for a right handed thread tap. That probably made his week stumping us in the Test Lab. In the 20+ years I had never seen any left handed threads done in the plant.
It was quite a problem for a new assistant to drill a hole with the magnetic based drill motor until we resharpened the bit and I showed him that the drill motor also ran in reverse.
don

After one or two cuts of 2"x4" cold rolled steel, my import band saw blade might cut better in reverse :mad:
I cut a piece of 1"x3" this weekend and the cross section of the cut looked like the letter J.

I've never tried that.

I did try to run a 1"-8 pitch, left hand tap in a CNC process without
telling the machine it had to turn counter-clockwise for the tapping
process.

Long story short.
The machine said NO!

It made enough noise to bring some of the office folks out to see
what happened. There's nothing like the sound of tool steel cracking
just before a CNC turning center dims the lights while shutting it's
self down from an overload condition.

"Uh, I need a new tap and another piece of stock."
:hDe:

Rick

Gas gas trials bikes dont start if you leave the bung in the exhaust (from cleaning) even if you try for an hour kicking it , install a new plug and start to remove the carb :big: DOH

I dunno, I've cut things off two or three times and they're still too short. I just don't get these new fangled tools. :big: :big:

BC1
Jim

chillybilly said:
Gas gas trials bikes dont start if you leave the bung in the exhaust (from cleaning) even if you try for an hour kicking it , install a new plug and start to remove the carb :big: DOH
and the old ty80 trials bikes scream their tits off and go into piston meltdown of you start them up without the fuel turned on aswell
done that when i was a kid dad wasnt impressed

rake60 said:
I did try to run a 1"-8 pitch, left hand tap in a CNC process without
telling the machine it had to turn counter-clockwise for the tapping
process.

Rick

I have come to the conclusion that running a CNC program for the first time (and sometimes the second or third) is an act of faith. Once you press the "GO" button you are at the mercy of powers greater than yourself. I have experienced it more times than I care to admit!

Oh, and on the subject of band saws and blades, you have never lived until you have cranked the speed up to 10,000 FPM and friction sawn some steel! :big:

Steve C.

johnthomp said:
and the old ty80 trials bikes scream their tits off and go into piston meltdown of you start them up without the fuel turned on aswell
done that when i was a kid dad wasnt impressed

gas gas dont require that much provocation to implode !!!!!!!!!!!!

chillybilly said:
gas gas dont require that much provocation to implode !!!!!!!!!!!!
fantic and bultaco arent too hard to provoke neither i remember me brother comeing home with an old montessa 250 and after hours of cleaning and resetting the timing we had it running on the offbeat stroke asociated with older trials bikes and me dad the bloody minded ex mod scooter man came over and said that dont sound right and turned one screw on the carb then bang it never ran again no matter what we did
regards john

Yep...I remember when I first got my knees mill I ruined a brand new 1/2" cobalt end mill by accidentally turning the drum switch the wrong way.....I learned two lessons that day...which way to turn the drum switch and to listen to my tools :eek:

Latest posts

Back