Solar Powered Steam

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky961

Reaction score
What sort of pondering has been done out there to run a small steam engine on a renewable resource, like solar?

I'm thinking that you'd probably be able to boil water with a solar concentrator. Then use this to drive a steam engine or even directly power a small steam turbine generator.

What sort of power can you expect to get from small steam engines, and at what pressures?

Thoughts?

-Brian

Start simple. PMR sells a parabolic concentrator mirror. Use it to focus sunlight on the hot end of a Stirling. I see lots of these rigs at local engine shows.

Good idea. I've actually been reading about the great potential for Stirling engines in this regard.

What/where is PMR?

-Brian

I mean absolutely no offense with what's to come in the next sentence because I'm humbled by most of the work that I've seen posted here. But the fact is that up until recently, I've seen the making of small engines as something completely without cause.

I've never been one to undertake things "for the sake of it". I like to see a reason and a purpose to what I'm doing - probably the reason why I haven't finished 90% of the things that I've started in my life. When you analyze things at their lowest level, there's not a whole lot of reason to do most of the things that we do as humans.

Anyway, this topic interests me greatly. Anything that can help reduce or replace the dependency on oil is of great interest to me. I'll definitely be looking into this more, and it might actually be the precursor to build my first engine.

Thanks all...
-Sparky

BrianS said:
I too am interested in solar powered steam and Stirling engine. Have you see this site?

http://members.aol.com/hstierhof/index.html

He has some interesting and exotic designs. I'd like to build his "solarpumpcan" and put it in my garden for fun.

Brian

A "steam garden" would be tres cool! Imagine solar powered steam running all sorts of little garden contraptions for the entertainment and amusement of guests.

FWIW, here is my page of Stirling Solar info:

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCStirlingGenerator.htm

Best,

BW

Thanks for the info and links, Bob. They kept me up way past my bed time.... ;)

-Sparky

Latest posts

Back