Smithy owners... is it me?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlukens

Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought a Midas 1220XL LTD. I'm trying to remain positive but I'm growing frustrated over the change gears.
First, I assume that the gear coming straight out of the headstock is a 27 tooth and fixed (not an exchange gear). Furthermore, it mates to a 50 tooth, also not an exchange gear. Correct?
IMG_4352.jpg
Moving on to the actual change gears, I want the following arrangement: 70/32 X 40/36. First I'll install the 36T on "D" shaft:
IMG_4353.jpg
Then athe40T on the B&C shaft:
IMG_4354.jpg
Then the 32T on that same B&C shaft:
IMG_4356.jpg
Now here comes the rub. When I install the 70T on the A shaft, I cant swing the gear plate up enough to mesh A with B because:
IMG_4358.jpg
The ear on the plate interferes with the spacer on A shaft.
Heres as close as I can bring the two together:
IMG_4359.jpg

What am I missing? Thanks for following along. Hope this post isn't too convoluted.
Russ

Attachments

• IMG_4355.jpg
    IMG_4355.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 268
What am I missing?

With a bench grinder you can remove enough material from the banjo to achieve the required adjustment by rounding it's end without compromising it's structure

Cant help much but this is a link to the **manual** if you haven't got one.
John

Handy the way it gives gears letters but doesn't include a labelled diagram, I assume that's found on the inside of the machine cover and presumably so do they?

EDIT - Diagram on 16-7, several pages after the gears were referred to without a plate or drawing or page number for the diagram :-(

You have an unused gear shaft that, if used in place of the one you have B & C mounted on, looks like it would get closer to the A gear without fouling?

Nick, yeah the grinder will work. Piss poor engineering. Also, that unused shaft is for an "idler gear" to reverse the gear train.
Overall, I think the machine will do what I want but I expect a few more snafu's.
Thanks for all the responses.

Its been quite a few years since I sold my Smithy but pretty sure the gear axle with the 40t gear on your last photo can be loosend with a spanner and will slide along the slot to engage the other gear before it hits.

Nick, yeah the grinder will work. Piss poor engineering.

There's a lot of it about but if you can adapt and overcome then there's a lot of reasonably priced kit which can be made serviceable at reasonable cost ;-)

Latest posts

Back