small bolt sources

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeeprogrammer

Reaction score
Looking for a source of 10-32 hex head machinable bolts...and related fasteners...

I apologize if I'm wasting anyone's time...but I've been searching for a few days and I still haven't found anything satisfactory. It may be my poor skill in searching...anyway...

I'm specifically looking for 10-32 hex head bolts that can be machined to modify the head. 1/2" or longer. Threaded up to the bolt is preferable but not absolutely necessary.

On that note...any other sources for small bolts of any type. Small being less than 1/4". I found bigger...I found much smaller.

Thanks.

Thanks Tin. That's what I'm looking for. Don't know why it didn't come up in my searches...well yes I do...poor search technique. Ah well.

Thanks.

Hey Zee,

I see you're from West Chester, have you ever made it out to the Green Dragon Farmers Market in Ephreta? There is a store there, Lou's Surplus which has a huge selection of fasteners that sell for $1 a pound.

Bill

Zee, check out American Model Engineering Supply Inc. They handle a variety of modeling stock and accessories.

BC1
Jim

Speedy: Thanks. Looks like a good site.
Bill: Haven't been to Ephreta. Have a friend out there though. I feel a drive coming on.
Jim: Once I found it...it also looks like an interesting site. BTW...don't type americanmodeling.com unless you're a handsome guy. I'm not.

Thanks all. This helps a lot.

I've mentioned them before, but since they came through again today, we have a local bolt place ("Austin Bolt", of all things). I went in there on a late lunch today and got 10 #2-56x1" stainless SHCS (I wanted 5/8", but they were out) as well as a dozen #4-40x1" stainless buttonheads. The guy goes and gets them, rings them up, then looks at the computer and says "naah, that's too much margin... $2". I love places like that.

Enco, McMaster, Small Parts and the rest of the usual suspects sell small fastners, usually in 100-packs. I sometimes throw a few boxes (get long ones so you can cut them down as needed) onto an Enco order getting to the magic $50 mark..

Hi Shred,

Yeah I like places like that. Hard to find though. More common when I was younger and in small towns. You're lucky.

I tried Enco...but the only small bolts I saw weren't threaded up to the head. At least not that I could tell.

Thanks.

you could also try places that deal in electrical parts
the places that sell electronics or repair photocopiers ect

Wayne

Zee, it may be helpful to know that bolts have a length of plain under the head. The term for fasteners threaded up to the head here in UK is set pin or set screw.

Just checked my 1936 copy of the handbook by MacHinery and I see it was set screw then in US.

Sounds like nitpicking but suppliers may adhere to that standard, try that in your search. Hope that helps.

Ray

zeeprogrammer said:
Jim: Once I found it...it also looks like an interesting site. BTW...don't type americanmodeling.com unless you're a handsome guy. I'm not.

Yes, I've heard that about you! Rof} Rof} Rof} Rof}

Wayne: Thanks. Good tip.

Ray: Thanks. I need to get some more reference material.

bearcar1: No thanks...and what you've heard are lies...all lies.

Just kidding Zee, just kidding. No. Really. ;D

BC1
Jim

Back