Slitting Saw.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hilmar

Reaction score
. Notice the Slitting Saw I am using. . The Carbide blade is for a portable Trim Saw. I bought the blade from Home Depot for about nine $$ and change. Cuts true metal like butter. The slot is 0.050” and clean.
Hilmar

DSC00392.jpg

DSC00396.jpg

Hi,

I'm glad you posted this. I bought a similar blade a few weeks ago from Home Depot but it has a few more teeth (it has 24).

Your H/D must be cheaper...I had to pay $18 + tax for mine! :(

I haven't made an arbor yet but need to very soon. What sorta rpm do you run yours at? I assume very slow? Great looking cuts, that's for sure!

Milton

LOL... another something I gotta have. Off to HD right after the doc draws my blood in the morning. At least there is something good to look forward to when I get up... :roll:

Steve

Milton,
I noticed that when I cut at slow speed the chips would wedge between the blade and slot and stall the blade. I then upped
the speed to between 800 and 1000 RPM, it was just fine when the smoke started to show, no problem then. After that I checked the
teeth with a magnifier Glass and they are all fine.
As cutting fluid, I used the black–brown stuff in the blue can, also from HD out in the plumbing section. I put on two or three strokes per cut, on the top and bottom with an Acid Brush.
I did not see the 24 tooth blade. I may work even better.
Hilmar

I wandered by my local Home Depot this morning and also checked Lowes online.. looks like that particular blade is hard to come by, but for $15, there's a Makita 24T. The only thing is it wants a 10mm arbor, so now I have something else to make.. :wink: I had some ok luck with the thin Harbor Fright 3-pack of 3" HSS cut off saw blades on Al and brass, but when they bind, they snap quick.

The arbor on this Blade is 15 mm, but the Makita should work also.
Probably both say: " Don't use on Metal"

Hilmar

Spotted the same blades at Harbor Freight for $5.00 apiece this morning. Now to make it an arbor.

Steve

Hilmar,

Thanks for posting that. Made an arbor today for the blade. It cut through 1/2" 6061 like butter and sure is easier than a hack-saw.

Kenny

that was a good idea because i just bought one and put it to the test today

Latest posts

Back