Slide hammer prick punch

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello All: The homemade tooling I see on here is great. I would like to thank everybody for letting us see your special tools and even how you make them. I think Marv's tools caught my eye because of their common sense, simplicity and usefulness. In your honor I have tried to do as acceptable a job of constructing these tools as those shown to us. Love the brass, but hard to come by at a enjoyable price!
S3500003-2.jpg

The one tool in the center is a cheater for me, the 1/8" carbide is ground with a point at each end, one end is ground flat on the side out to the tip for resting on the OD of a part and then knowing that dimension, feeding it in until the desired diameter is reached and touching the face of the part being machined to scribe a circle. The other end is ground to a point at the OD of the carbide to touch the ID of a bore, then knowing that bore diameter, backing out to reach the desired diameter and scribing the face of the part being machined.
I did not know where to buy Victrola needles so I buy 1/8" carbide rod and grind them into what I need. The slide hammer has two weights on it, one for slightly marking,checking and then using the heavier one to make it big enough for a center punch or just use it as is.
Here is a picture of many of the tools I have made over the years for my own use.
S3500005-3.jpg

Thank You all for sharing your ideas with us-----don

Don,

Very nice tooling you have made there. Perhaps a few individual pictures of some/all items and their use would be nice. I was thinking some of the more unusual tooling you've made. For example in the first pic. That brass piece with the two round steel pieces on it. I can only assume that is a brass sign bar. I also see some unusual items in the second picture. The round, what looks like a chuck, piece to the left of the knurling tool. Also great picture quality. Thanks much for sharing.

regards,
Bernd

Bernd: The "chuck" was built from Guy Lautard's Bedside Reader books, looked like it might come in handy someday. He is a good salesman on those sort of things.
S3500004-3.jpg

S3500005-4.jpg

S3500006-1.jpg

I used the taper from a broken taper mount drill from the machineshop where I used to work when they were first going CNC. I had the machinists bring me the damaged drills (bent/broke) and I cut off the drill and now use the tapers for making and mounting tooling. The mounting in the headstock is like a drawbar and I can also use that to hold in milling cutter holders and have a setup with a adjustable bolt length for repeatable length machining on parts.
I also machined a spindle adapter on one of the tapers so if desired I could mount a chuck on the tailstock, not sure why but I might want to someday.
S3500009-2.jpg

don

Marv,

Great site. Now I'll never get anything done. I just have to look at all those wonderful pics. :big:

Don,

I thought that chuck looked familar. Great idea on recycling used and broken drills.

Bernd

Had to have one of these one of the hardest things is getting that mark spot on this is one of the most useful tools one can build
Thought I share mine not much just stuff from the scrap bin pressed on a old punch in to the reamed hole and fab a few collars quick and easy
Dave

easter 08 069.jpg

must say this is one of the tools you wonder how you ever got a long with out. Thought I would just share the Dave version it was quick and dirty
Dave

easter 08 069(2).JPG

some how it posted twice sorry

Thanks Marv - you should be getting royalties !
Here's mine (punch not money) All from the scrap bin including the diesel injector valve for the pointy bit which is is just a gentle push fit, I like the idea of setting small rivets with the tool.
droppunch.jpg

Be interesting to know how many have been made.....
Mark

since we are praising marv :bow: for his great tool ideas i thought i would post a pic of the tap holders and slide hammer that i built.
IMG_0519.jpg

marv i don't know how i would be able to work with out these "gadgets" ;D

thanks
chuck

I made one of these many years ago, but the result looked more like a stone club compared to recent efforts - I've just taken the opportunity to make a new one, which looks a lot like D_ M's only longer

I am a convert! ....and I broke my spring loaded one :-

Here is a model of my version...to be built as time allows...

The small hammer is two thirds the size of the big one and I grooved the shaft every inch to act as a guide for depth of penetration. The guide and punch are seperate. Both are hardened

I tried to get the CG of the hammer as low as I could and as close to the anvil as possible.

Will make it from brass for "bling"

slidehammerprickpunchassembly.jpg

Dave

Latest posts

Back