single cylinder oscillating steam engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Luther

This is an engine that I designed and built to be simple, easy to make from readily available material with no castings. I also wanted it to be large enough that it could be capable of putting out enough power to run a small generator or alternator and have a reasonable service life between overhauls. It has a 2" bore and a 3" stroke .The crank shaft and rod have sealed ball bearing. The piston/cylinder are made from"Durabar G" cast iron bar stock and that assembly pivots on a hardened shoulder bolt in a 954 bronze bushing. The inlet and exhaust ports are replaceable bronze pieces sliding on 1018 cold rolled steel. It runs well compressed air, the next test is on steam and then I will hook it up to a generator and see how much power it will produce. After it passes all its tests I plan to produce a set of drawings with a list of all the material and hardware which can all be purchased from Mcmaster-Carr.

pb230001.jpg

pb230002.jpg

pb230003.jpg

pb230005.jpg

pb230006.jpg

Latest posts

Back