Silver solder WIRE

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

baldrocker

To Aussie guys
Having trouble sourcing silver solder WIRE also
Easy Solder No2.
Any leads greatly appreciated preferably in Victoria
but not essential.
BR

Yes I got my 1.5mm for BOC, but I also wanted some really fine stuff 0.6mm and I ordered this from Blackgates engineering in the UK

I think Australia have stoped selling Easyflow due to its cadmium content. It will also be harder to get Cadmium bearing solders in the UK as one of the large distributors have stoped selling it. It is still being made though and can be obtained from CUp Alloys

http://www.cupalloys.co.uk/cadmium-bearing-silver-solder-no-problem-i456.html

Their No 842 is the same as easyflow no 2 and available in 0.5mm wire

Jason

baldrocker said:
To Aussie guys
Having trouble sourcing silver solder WIRE also
Easy Solder No2.
Any leads greatly appreciated preferably in Victoria
but not essential.
BR

If all else fails jewellery tool suppliers always carry silver solder - usually all 3 types. An on line search should find someone in your country

I got some 54% stuff from www.arc-industries.com.au in Penrith, nsw (I bought it from the shop, not the website). Its called safety silv 54 and comes in a coil with a bottle of flux and the MSDS in a little cannister. It is cadmium free and brilliant to work with. Its fairly large though, 1.5-2mm diameter, I would really love to get some smaller stuff.

rickharris said:
If all else fails jewellery tool suppliers always carry silver solder - usually all 3 types. An on line search should find someone in your country

Yes but from what I understand they have a much higher silver content than what we would normally use. So not sure if it would be ok to use on structural parts

If you want small stuff and you only have big stuff, give it the good news with a big hammer & cut strips with tin snips.
Mark

Sure thing Mark - the big 'ammer approach is one I often use.

tmuir said:
Yes but from what I understand they have a much higher silver content than what we would normally use. So not sure if it would be ok to use on structural parts
FWIW, Jewelry suppliers are also going CAD-free and their specs (Easy / Med / Hard) don't quite match the traditional ME ones, but they're usable.

G'day All,

Thanks for all the information. I was also wondering where to purchase the wire in Australia.

Just put in an order with cupalloys. Seems they ship to Aus.

Thanks once again!

Gordon

G'day all

Has anybody tried Solder-Tech in Adelaide see http://www.soldertech.com.au/

Some blokes at SASMEE recommended them but I haven't beeen there yet. Get my stuff from BOC and the place I buy steel and brass from.

Regards
Ian

OGTDA

Hi!

I placed an order on Cupalloys also... time to stock up on Easyflo #2 equivalent.

Received my order of 842 from CupAlloys today...

Simple efficient service online, reasonable price and only 7 days from order to delivery in Australia.

Thanks Gerald,
You learn something new everyday! I used sta-clean (Harris product) from PM Research for their Boiler #1. Hope it don't blow up!
I tested to 180psi with their hand pump and it has a 100psi relief. So hopefully no problems!!
Tony

Latest posts

Back