Sieg SC-3 Lathe, Taper Bearing Fitment

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghosty

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hi All,
Started with the replacement of the OEM bearings with taper bearings.
Removed the feed screw drive cover and the drive gearing.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Removed the dust cover, loosened motor mounts, removed belt, gears, spacer's and key, spacer's are plastic, will make new alloy ones

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Removed shaft and bearings. Had to go to a friends place to remove the bearing from the shaft in a press.

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

Fitted bearing to shaft and refitted shaft.(Make shore that the dust cover is fitted to the shaft before fitting bearing) Only tighten just enough to seat the bearings. Re-fit front dust cover.

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

Machined the new spacers. The lathe is already running smother than with the old bearings, still have to re-centre the chuck.

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

Re-assembled the drive with the new spacers, first spacer is only .5mm smaller dia than the dust cover. Set the preload and checked the machine operation. Very happy with it.

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

Great write up. Good job. I done this ages ago, I have a Real Bull 7 X 14, the new bearings will make a big difference.

Barry.

G,

Very nicely done.

If you really want to improve your lathe, then have a look at fitting tapered gibs.

I brought back a mini lathe from the edge by uprating it and one of those mods was tapered gibs. It turned it from being bent like a banana to a very accurate precision lathe.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoxxeJ2aI2U[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnL3ipa7JO8[/ame]

Unfortunately, the site I refer you to has the same problem with some of my posts on here, the pictures are missing from when Photoshop lost all mine.

John

Hi John,

I have seen the article, "Fixing Darrens Lathe". It is a very a very good write up for the mini lathe's. Am disappointed that the photos have disappeared. Would it be possible to get a copy of them, as I know they are very informative? My email is [email protected]. Scrollsawer61 is also my Skype name.

Thankyou,
Barry

Hi John,
Sorry for the second post. I forgot to add that I am about to try and fit tapered gibs that why I was looking up you article. I have only had my lathe and mill since retiring, so still learning everything.

Thanks again
Barry.

Barry,

Email with 125 pictures sent. I do hope that you manage to get the job done, it really does make a massive difference to the lathe.
I have tapered gibs on both my lathe and mill, and once set correctly, they shouldn't need doing again unless you have to disturb them for some reason.

Chuck Fellows also did an article on fitting tapered gibs, I don't know if it was on here or on Madmodders, it was such a long time ago and as far as I can remember it was only a basic type of fitting not requiring as much machining, as I was putting the WHOLE lathe right at the time, so I was machining all sorts to get things square and level, putting things right as I went along.

John

First test run, just to check finish

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itbo4kEkvz0[/ame]

Latest posts

Back