Shop under renovation!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Divided He ad

Reaction score
Well I finally decided to reorganise my little shop... Well I had to really since I just purchased a new bench for my lathe to sit on! :D

A couple of photo's... bear in mind I have no where near finished yet.... For a start I am going to go next door and find out what is causing all that damp up the wall by my mill!! :(

This is a bit through the days work. Mill on the floor (well heavy !!) and bench and lathe stacked with stuff to get it out of the way!

DSC01472.jpg

Mill in it's new home. Not plugged in yet but won't be long.

DSC01476.jpg

New bench in and lathe moved on to it ;D

DSC01477.jpg

Still lots to do... as you can see!! But I will get it done soon, Can't carry on working otherwise! :(

Ralph.

This is more typical of what I'm used to seeing. You can only improve on the orginization. :D If your home is like mine, as soon as something is moved out something else comes in. We should start a new TLC show called Extreme Home Shop Makeover.

It'll look much better soon!! (then I'll start working in it again! ;D )
If someone wants to come to my house knock all this down and build a state of the art shop in it's place.... Who am I to stop them :big: I'm in... Who do we talk to? ;D

Ralph.

Ralph

I thought I was a little "cramped" ::) .............. but I think you have me beat :D

Good luck mate, I'm sure it will all come good 8)

Whilst I'm here ........... what sort of mill did you end up with

Dave

Dave,

My space is so small because it is shared with my dad...It's approx 2.1m2 :( still haven't finished building my house let alone my new shop!

The mill is a Chester champion, purchased 2nd hand it's a little old but works, the DRO's were on it when I got it but are not standard... The link to the site... this ones a bit newer and there is a dc variable version now too ( looked a little bit smaller when I was at their store last!)

http://www.chesteruk.net/store/champion_mill.htm

Ralph.

Divided He ad said:
...It's approx 2.1m2 :( still haven't finished building my house let alone my new shop!

Ralph, I'm not surprised your cramped, that's a floor area very slightly bigger than a mason's door opening :eek: ............. helping build your house is not a problem, rediscovering my engineering skills from many years ago is another matter ;D .......... maybe we should swap notes ;)

Seriously though if you need to "bang heads" on a building related matter just shout up.

Dave

Cheers Dave, my house is near completion... only had it 5 years!!!
just some electrics, plumbing, plasterboard, plastering, a bathroom and a kitchen and it's all done!! oh bar the paint and second fix electrics that is!! ::)
I'm like the tortoise of the building world! :D

I hadn't touched a lathe or mill for about 10 years till I had an idea of something I knew I could make. So I went and raided the savings and found a peatol (taig) lathe on ebay and have not looked back since!

I have never been happier than when I'm creating something (with my music playing) in my own 'little' retreat ;D When you are enjoying something learning about it is not a chore, it's just something you are going to do so that you enjoy it more :)
This forum is the best teaching aid I have ever known, You have to read more and more... you just can't help it ;D the good thing is that if you ask a question I could give you an answer... it may not be the best or most accurate answer but it might be a start!! ;D And I'm sure you would get many other offers of an answer, as you know :D

Ralph.

Well I'm getting there!! ::)

After another 8-9hrs in the shop it and looks a bit better... :-

I've shifted the tooling to the new lathe bench...

DSC01504.jpg

DSC01505.jpg

DSC01506.jpg

DSC01499.jpg

A tidy up of the messy bench, also a new fixture for the tool cabinets that used to be for all the tooling I just rehoused.
They will now be used for all my electronics equipment!

DSC01502.jpg

Finally for tonight the little chuck key tidy ( Ok it has some other stuff in it too... but it's mainly there for the chuck keys! :D )

DSC01508.jpg

This is turning out to be a mammoth task... And the shop is tiny!! ???

I'll start again sunday...House tomorrow!

Ralph.

Looking good Ralph. I will have you know however, when I cleaned my shop... it was messy again that night. :big:

Eric

I have in no way got this place tidy yet... Another 4 hrs on it this afternoon! Still haven't uncovered my machines or plugged them in yet! But the bench has a new slidy desk thingy and my peatol (taig) will soon be useable once more! ;D ( I will now have the space to put and work on it ;) )

What is your new picture of Eric? ( speaking of pictures... Have you got your computers sorted yet? :-\ )

Ralph.

Divided He ad said:
at is your new picture of Eric? ( speaking of pictures... Have you got your computers sorted yet? :-\ )

Ralph.

Not yet. Still haven't bought a new harddrive for the graphics machine... I am stuck with the laptop.

That is actually a Carbon Fiber & Billet kickstand that I make. Trying to get a business started in the sport bike after market.

Eric

Well I've just about finished my shop renovation!! (for now anyway)

I have installed my new surface table donated by an anonymous benefactor (if you read a lot of posts you will be able to figure that one out!! ;D )
It is 18" square and heavy as hell!!!! It has been removed from it's stand (which is now in storage) and a hole cut through the bench, the spigot dropped through the hole and it's home ;)
DSC01752.jpg

and it has a cover too...
DSC01754.jpg

Then I have installed some work trays (this is an idea from a previous post I read but cannot find again... so thank you to the poster of this one ;D )

DSC01756.jpg

Work trays made(MDF) and ready to fit.

DSC01757.jpg

Fitted and showing my peatol(taig) on the bench.

DSC01759.jpg

Lathe in storage (it will be covered)

DSC01762.jpg

And finally the work tray pulled out so I can work with somewhere to fit my long a@# legs ;D

Ralph.

Very nice, Ralph.

I like that tray idea. I might have to "borrow" it.

Ralph,

Surely you didn't maul that heavy thing in there by yourself?
It took two of us to get it in your chariot.

Now your shop getting into shape, the little engine should be born soon then!!

Kevin,

Don't put down your little B&D bandsaw, mine has been the most used machine in my shop for nearly the last twenty years. I never cut steel on it, but everything else goes thru it with no problems at all. From thin plastic to 3" bars of brass and 4" thick ali plate.
The only mod I ever did on it was make a set of roller bearing blade guides, and only ever use 3/8" or 1/2" wide blades.

John

Erm.... well your definitely not anonymous now John !! ;D
Yes I did haul it the 40' from my parking bay to my workshop, then on and off the bench 4 times... my back wasn't happy! :( ::)

But it looks good now though, eh?
(Oh and happy new avatar ;D )

Kevin, If you are talking the extending work tray then that's my idea and you can borrow it (like I could stop you !!! :big: ) If you are talking the multistory project storage trays then that is as I said someone else's idea... I just can't recall where I read it? Either way it was all posted here for all to see and copy if it helps ;)

Ralph.

Ha! Found it... Alan2525 posted it in the 'My little corner of the Universe - Phase 1'(page 1) post of Crewcabs... I knew I'd read it somewhere...
Thank you ;D

Ralph,
Thanks for the blessing. Actually I was thinking of both. They look quite handy.

If I might offer a suggestion, rub some candle wax along the tray bottoms. They'll slide much easier.

Have you met my dad Kevin?? :big: :big:
I hadn't finished 2 min's and he said exactly that ;D

You won't regret the time spent... makes miltitasking a lot easier.

Ralph.

Divided He ad said:
Have you met my dad Kevin?? :big: :big:
I hadn't finished 2 min's and he said exactly that ;D

You won't regret the time spent... makes miltitasking a lot easier.

Ralph.

LOL

Obviously, great minds think alike!

Ralph,

Those pull-out shelves are great. You'll find them very handy.

My workbench design dosen't permit pull-out shelves so I did something similar. I built a 2 x 3' table with a single hinged box leg. Its other end sits on a 1 x 1" ledge screwed to the front of the bench when in use. Two drop through bolts ensure that it can't come dislodged.

My shop is in a garage in which we still park two cars. The great thing about this table is that it must be removed in order that my wife can park her car. This *ensures* that I'll always clear it and store it away before leaving the shop and that, in turn, ensures that it will be free and clear for use the next time I need to use it.

Like you, I have long legs and it's always difficult to sit at my bench when doing fine work because my legs interfere with the bench supports.

The collapsible table is higher and allows me to sit and hunch comfortably over a tiny job.

That'll be invention's mum up to her old tricks again then Marv :big: Mmmm, hunch comfortably.... sounds familiar ::)

I've already got 4 different ones on the go!! :D

I was also happy to get my little lathe down off the wall (it used to hang up) is is now easier to access and thanks to the shelves the bench can be cleared in seconds if I want to use it :)

My shop is going to be far better to work in now that I have it a little more organised ;D

Ralph.

Latest posts

Back