Shop gleanings

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Marv, I really appreciate seeing all these "little" tips from more experienced people. You never know when you might suddenly recall something like this when puzzling over something in the future.

I got a real laugh out of your collection of Band-Aid... excuse me "adhesive bandage" boxes. Seems appropriate for the shop :p

Lee

Marv, Thank you very much for your great work. I really apreciate your work to show us newbees a better way of doing,this machine work. Also thank you very much for the great pictures. larry1

Thanks for all the kind words, guys.

I didn't mention it but you should note that the RT being used has a 6" table to which I have attached a 9" sacrificial table made of aluminum. It would have been impossible to clamp a part this large to a 6" table but the 9" table makes it easy.

Really big RTs (>8") are usually super heavy and thus difficult to mount and dismount. I'm of the opinion that a tool that's awkward to set up will not get used as often as it should and the resulting workarounds can make for inferior work. The sacrificial table provides the best of both worlds - relatively light weight and a comfortable working envelope for model engineering sized tasks.

Also the sacrificial table protects the main table. I've had several instances of the endmill pulling out of the collet and the table has the scars to prove it. Buy endmill holders and use them when making heavy cuts.

Excellent idea on the Dremel jig. I have the Dremel and a lot of the attachments but I seldom use it. Food for thought on your jig thingy. :-\

Latest posts

Back