Sherline Challenge @ NAMES

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehuckss396

Model Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is anybody going to enter the challenge this year?

I have 2 entrys that i am going to show. I'm going to enter the micro HOSC that will be displayed on a corian display base. I also plan to enter the Co2 powered micro V8. I am going to make some sort of a fancy display base for that. I will begin thursday on the base.

Now of course I will post some pictures of both projects when they are ready so you will know which ones to vote for (huge grin) while you are down at the show.

I think you're in luck.. my loco is 6.02" long from nose to tail :big: :big: :big:

whats the micro HOSC?? :D
stevehuckss396 said:
Is anybody going to enter the challenge this year?

I have 2 entrys that i am going to show. I'm going to enter the micro HOSC that will be displayed on a corian display base. I also plan to enter the Co2 powered micro V8. I am going to make some sort of a fancy display base for that. I will begin thursday on the base.

Now of course I will post some pictures of both projects when they are ready so you will know which ones to vote for (huge grin) while you are down at the show.

The HOSC is a horz wobbler that was designed my Gail Graham back in the late 80's. The micro is a 1/4 scale version of Mr Graham's engine.

Plans are in the download section of this web site.

Picture 006.jpg

DSCN1559Tiny.JPG

stevehuckss396 said:
I like that thing! Video is awesome!

Enter it anyway. You can file a few thou off it somewhere.
I considered it briefly-- it's no masterpiece of machining, but it is fun and it would be entertaining to see what others think.. but, it's volume box is close to 70 cubic inches, so even if I trimmed the length a little, I don't think I could knock enough off it elsewhere to fit within the rules.

I doubt they'll let me have 3 feet of track either ;)

That HOSC is nuts! You should include a magnifying glass in the display stand.

digi camera and wide screen TV to display it all maybe ?? ( keep it in the case for focus reasons)

( bolt the camera down eh.. they walk )

jack

Cought this on another site. Thought I would help get the word out.

The Sherline Machinist's Challenge contest will once again be held at NAMES. As always, there is no requirement that Sherline tools be used in the building of the entry. It just has to meet the size requirements. The project must fit within 64 cubic inches (1049 cubic cm) of volume or approximately a 4" (10.2 cm) cube. Cubic shape limits are not strictly required, and a single dimension of up to 6" (15.2 cm) is allowed as long as the volume requirement is not exceeded An article will appear soon in The Home Shop Machinist with the rules, but you can find them now at www.sherline.com/challen.htm . Last year only 5 people entered 7 projects, and we are hoping for a lot more this year so we can continue holding this contest in the future. Please tell everyone to get a project together, whether they plan to attend the show or not. I can take them with me for display. It doesn't have to be as complicated as an engine, but nice finishes and unique or complicated projects seem to do the best in the judging. Thank you for helping spread the word.
Sincerely,
Craig Libuse
[email protected]

Latest posts

Back