ShedBoys' First Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been plodding along and kicking some goals
SAM_0163.jpg

Igniton breaker cam
SAM_0156.jpg

Exhaust pipe and inlet stub which needs shortening
SAM_0157.jpg

The start of a carby, took some inspiration from Chuck's carb he is building at the moment
SAM_0161.jpg

Made a intake venturi to make it pretty, this engine needs some bling. 6mm hole through the middle
SAM_0164.jpg

SAM_0165.jpg

SAM_0169.jpg

SAM_0167.jpg

The spray bar forms the venturi in the carb (Thanx for the idea Mr Fellows) The problem was soldering it together and not getting any solder in the cross hole which was drilled before hand. More to come.
Brock

Cue the Liquid Paper/ White out, flux and silver solder add heat until combined
SAM_0171.jpg

Stop, pickle time :)
SAM_0172.jpg

The general gist of it
SAM_0173.jpg

Three different size holes to three different depths. This is the last hole 1mm for 3mm. The problem is you can't tell if you snap it off as it is so small (well it is for a ham fisted oaf like me, thankfully it came out the same length it started at.
SAM_0174.jpg

This is the set of drills I got for this job, $2.95 from Jaycar Electronics. The are PCB drills and look good when magnified.
SAM_0175.jpg

Needle end is done
SAM_0177.jpg

Other end was drilled for fuel supply. I have found a needle to try. Today I am going to finish the carb, only 4 simple parts to go and mount the points. May even pull it all apart and do some final assembly :) It is getting exciting. Thanx for checking in.
Brock

Got more done today
SAM_0178.jpg

Finally used my knurling tool
SAM_0179.jpg

Little drills scare me
SAM_0180.jpg

Needle finished
SAM_0181.jpg

Needle in carb
SAM_0183.jpg

SAM_0184.jpg

Last machining on carb body
SAM_0186.jpg

Just need some gland packing
SAM_0188.jpg

Pic of the air screw
SAM_0189.jpg

Lever to lock in position and soldered onto stub.
SAM_0191.jpg

Group shot. After this pic I mounted the points and painted the main frame and cylinder, not much to go now.
1. Lap in valves
2. Space out O ring with some ali can or foil as it misses by 0.2mm but good sign it has compression.
3. Make some sort of base, chunk of wood.
4. Make 3 gaskets
5. Drop parts it ultrasonic cleaner for a bit
6. Bolt it together.
7. Wire it up, add fuel and give it a spin

Hopefully this time tomorrow we have had some pops, fingers crossed.
What would I use for gland packing on the needle?

Brock

Look forward to hearing your engine make some noise! The Jaycar tip is a good one, have to get some of those ;)

Jan

Great build!! Looking forward to hearing it run. Thanks for sharing.

That carb looks cool. And the braze looks excellent!

--Tim

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) IT RUNS, unbelievable. I took some video of it but my can't get sound on computer. There is sound on the camera though. I am stoked. The carb needs some sorting but that was to be expected. It runs hot real quick but it runs need a model engine to start it but the revs are quite low. Dam camera. Might have another go later. Video with no sound here
http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/j325/brockster13/Engine 1/?action=view&current=SAM_0202.mp4

8) It is done

Need to make a new needle but have to go to work tomorrow :'( just when it is getting exciting.

Brock

Turns out the sound works on photobucket.

Brock

Congratulations, that sounds great and with a bit of tuning will be a winner. :bow:

Jan

Congrats Brock on your first engine. Even by reading your post you sounded very excited and happy.

Now to finish my first engine.

Vince

great going Mate
congrats on first pop ;D
pete

Well done, Brock!
And a nice build thread.

Marcello

Isn't it a good feeling hearing that 'pop' for the first time?

And I wouldn't mind putting a bet on that you got just as much enjoyment from making it out of old bits and pieces rather than it costing you hundreds of bucks for a casting kit.

Keep that grin on your face for a while yet, and get it running continuously.

Very well done indeed. :bow: :bow: :bow:

John

Congratulations Brock...and thanks for letting us ride along!!

Bill

I had to run it again for her indoors last night when she finished work and was able to get it to run for about 30 seconds.
Brock

Latest posts

Back