Sharpening files.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I tried out file sharpening. 12 volt battery charger, plastic container, a couple of teaspoons of citric acid in the warm water and a scrap piece of stainless steel for the negative electrode. Clip the positive onto file tang and immerse for about ten minuets. The photos show the results. Only draws 2 amps. I left the top 30 mm out of the solution for a comparison. The photo through a microscope has the untreated portion on the left. Note the flat tops on the teeth compared to the right hand side. There is a dramatic improvement is the cutting action on brass. I would say that it is totally worth while the minor effort for the improvement obtained. This file has had regular use fort the last fifteen years until recently when it required more effort to remove brass than it was worth.

Buchanan

P1060472.jpg

P1060473.jpg

P1060476.jpg

P1060480.jpg

I put the before and after picture side by side and you can see the difference. Amazing, have dead files and will give it a try.
Nelson Collar

Nelson .
I have been using these files for the last few months and they are still good. I am working through all my other files slowly.

Back